Aligater Guest

Default Help ....can't hit much

Even when I was in the service 1953-1955, I couldn't hit much with a carbine....Now, I'm 83 and I don't shoot much...I just go to a 25 yard indoor range and my groups are 1 foot high and the sight is in its lowest setting....any way to fix it without altering the sight system? Thanks,

Bruce

Your front sight has probably been filed down. That's how the original carbines with the flip sights were zeroed. I maybe wrong but I think the "new" carbine front sight was .333" high. I have no clue as to their availability but 10-12 years ago they were plentiful and cheap.

Red is right. Replace the front sight with a new one and then file it till it works for you or you can get one of the reproduction rear sights and replace the adjustable rear sight with the flip sight. It should be pretty close to the original in being on target. You could also build up the front sight with some JB Weld and then file it till it works OK for you.

Dear Aligator:

Numrich has New Old Stock parts for the M-1 carbine:

You need parts 26,27,28 from this page: http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufact...101.htm?page=5

Modified25ydzero.jpg

This is the modifed 25yd elevation adjustment target (print on standard letter size paper), I added the spur at the bottom to help locate the front sight for the proper alignment. Ths sight is properly adjusted (filed down) when the rear sight is set for 100yrd elevation and 9 rounds impact with in the dotted area of the target.

The depot manual TM 9-1276 shows how to remove and install a new front sight. See para's 44 and 45. NOTE. the sight base has to be staked to the key bot front and back to keep the sight from moving around. Vibrations from firing will change the sight picture. (don't ask how I know this.) Basically stake the front and rear of the tunnel the key goes in so the sight doesn't move.

Then get yee to the range and set the target on the 25yd line and set your rear elevation for 100drs., and fire 9 rounds. Check to see if the rnds are inside the dotted area, if low, file a little off the top of the sight blade, and repeat, and repeat, and repeat... NOTE: Keep the top of the sight flat and straight.

The best shooting position is sitting with the rifle supported by sandbags or other device like a 'lead sled'

Once you got the forward sight filed to where you want it, you can treat the bare metal surface with a 'Presto Gun Blueing' pen or anyother blueing product.

Hope this helps.

R Brown

"...without altering the sight system..." Change your POA. As in aim higher. No 6 o'clock hold. Hold right on. And look through the rear sight at the front.
    Otherwise, change the front sight(no files are required). Isn't terribly hard to do if you have a few tools, starting with a padded vise. You'll need a plastic mallet and a brass punch too.
    Page 73 in this manual tells you exactly how to do it. Note the need for the provided UN & PW. You can adjust the size. I think it's a scanned copy of a book.
    http://www.biggerhammer.net/manuals/pdfs/m1_carbine.pdf
    Spelling and grammar count!

Aligater Guest

Default Well, I don't think I can do it. So...........

I ain't handy with tools anymore...so, I reckon I'll send to to Orion....ya' think they can fix it?

I'm sure they can fix it for you without any trouble at all. Are there are gunsmiths near your area? Might be a lot easier and cheaper to have them fix it for you.

Aligater Guest

Default Don't know any local gunsmiths.....

I live in Ft. Lauderdale...don't know any reputable gunsmiths here that I would trust with my carbine....I'll call Orion and get a price on a overhaul including fixing the sight.........Thanks to everyone who replied...

Bruce

Gator:

If you can travel to Ocala,FL Wizard's Gunsmithing 219 N. W. 10th St.

He's worked on my mixmaster universal carbine, the bolt lock groove never held the bolt back, till he machined it a tad bit deeper. And my ww2 RR 1911A1, and my RIA 1911. So he knows *classic* weapons.

R. Brown

Aligater Guest

Default Thanks Richard

Thanks Richard...it's a little far...haven't been that far north in years.