Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Colt Detective Special ll

I have a Colt Detective Special ll (ser.# 2235su) that I just picked up used. It has what I think is a problem. It fires just fine single action but wont fire double action. Everything seems to be working, the hammer goes back and releases just fine in double action but no marks at all on the primers. I'm pretty sure it's not supposed to do that. So, is there any reason someone would modify somehow, this revolver to only fire single action? Or is something broken inside? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I haven't taken it apart yet because I'm hoping someone here can point me in the right direction.
    Thanks in advance,
    Dave

That would be a weak mainspring. Hammer comes back further in single action and not as far in double action. Although I would think you should get a lite strike on the primer.

Colt revolvers have a big V-shaped mainspring and the action seems a little-complicated compared to the Smith and Wesson.

A lot of times a guy can spend a lot of money for an action job from a well-known gunsmith and the revolver will not work on the double action because they lightened the springs too much to get a lite trigger pull.

Thanks for the info Rick. I'll take it apart tonight and see what I can see. Do you think the mainspring was replaced with a lighter one or do they just bend it?

The leaf spring was a weak spot for the Colts. Check to see if someone ground on the spring to lighten the trigger pull. If not you should get a new spring. A guy might be able to bend the original spring but chances are it would break. I wouldn't try to bend unless I had a spare spring.

Thanks again Rick.

Well, I took it apart and found just what Rick said I would find. The mainspring was bent to lighten the trigger pull. I was able to SLOWLY and CARFULLY bend it back. That solved the problem. Thanks again Rick.

Update
    Well, the bending of the spring lasted for 3 and a 1/2 cylinders before it stopped firing in double action again. So, I called Colt and asked about a replacement spring. The answer was, "We don't work on or have parts for any double action revolvers any more". All I can say to that is WOW! Colt really has gone downhill. So, I've contacted Cylinder and Slide about a spring and I'll try Jack First also, but does anyone know anywhere else I can get a spring? I've also tried GunpartsUSA. They have the older D frame Detective Special spring but I'm told it's not the same. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

8. Default fix for soring

[QUOTE=DaveL;497352]Update
    Well, the bending of the spring lasted for 3 and a 1/2 cylinders before it stopped firing in double action again.

If the spring has not started to crack from the manhandling, take it to a smith. He could anneal, straighten and re-harden it if its all there and not ground or thinned.

I googled "Colt Detective Special Parts" and found several dealers who sell parts. I've bought a few rifle parts in the past from Numrich and they have a main spring for a D frame. It might be worth a phone call to see if they have the one you need. I also saw one on eBay. The seller included what appears to be the original Colt part number and a photo.

Update 1: I looked again on the Numrich site and noticed that they sell the original Colt main spring plus they also offer a reproduction main spring for the D frame. Perhaps the repro maker is making one that will fit your DS.

Update 2: I kept looking on the Internet and found a good site on Colt double action revolvers. This site lists parts sources and experienced/trained gunsmiths who they say are qualified to work on Colt double action revolvers. Go to www.coltfever.com and click on "Gunsmithing" on the left column. They go to great lengths to warn against inexperienced owners or gunsmiths attempting to repair the Colt double action revolver. Read the entire article. They make some good points, particularly on replacing some of the more critical parts.
    Last edited by Merc; 05-25-2017 at 05:47.

Update.
    I ordered a new aftermarket spring a week ago and received the new spring from GunPartsUSA yesterday ( product # 1289850A ). I proceeded to change it out today and fire it. All is well. It fires just as it's supposed to. Problem solved! For anyone who has the same problem, there are 2 springs at GunPartsUSA. One is listed for the Detective Special and one is listed for the OLD MODEL DETECTIVE SPECIAL, POLICE POSITIVE SPECIAL. The one listed for the DS (product # above) is the one you want.
    Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. Without your help and comments, this revolver probably would have stayed broken.
    DaveL