1. Default 1863 date trap door, NEED HELP

I am sorry to bother any one for information but, I was offered a Springfield trap door dated 1863 with bayonet. it looks to be an all original rifle with good marking and wood but, ofcourse has the age look. not over all rusted junk but, one that has been in a closet for decades. cleaning rod is there and this one seems to be shorter then the m-1873. can any one give me a ball park figure to the market value is? thank you.

Could be one of several possibilities - some good, others not so much. "Shorter" could be a problem, depending on the model, and who did it. All I can tell from the "1863" is that it is probably one of the .50-70 conversions, or one of the early new-made ones which utilized some musket parts. I'll need ALL markings and the serial number, if any - except the "US" on the buttplate and the "U" on the bands. Serial will not be across the back next to the hammer like an 1873. If there is one, it should be a matched pair astride the barrel/receiver joint on the left side above the stock. How long is the barrel - INSIDE the bore, from muzzle to CLOSED breech?

3. Default

I have to take another look. I just saw it and did not take any info but, do remember the serial number was on the barrel and the receiver a match. again, have to take another look at it.

4. Default

100_3233.jpg100_3234.jpgok, have pictures of the trap door previously mention with pictures. I have pictures and markings from the rifle and would like to know exactly what it is. seller wants 600.00.

no stock markings that I can see.
    no U.S. on butt plate
    barrel bands U marked
    1869 date and U.S. on top of receiver before sight
    barrel is 24'in from receiver to muzzle
    serial numbers match receiver, barrel, left side
    bore is not bad
    bayonet U.S. marked
    stock not bad
    can any body tell me what this is and market value100_3230.jpg100_3231.jpg100_3232.jpg
    Last edited by wolfie; 05-15-2017 at 12:30.

That WAS a Model 1868 Rifle manufactured in 1870, before Bubba got to it. Not worth even close to $600 - stock and barrel have been cut short, matching no original version of the gun. Stock has been reprofiled around the lock. Breechblock is of correct type but not original to gun, due to wrong date. Finish shows heavy wear. Not even a good candidate for parts. I wouldn't give $300 for it.

Sorry - but look on the bright side: You were smart enough to realize you lacked the knowledge to make a good decision, and so are MILES ahead of the sad bozos who burst on the scene, like a dog wanting to be patted on the head, with: "Hey guys, I just bought a XXXXXXXX - I don't know anything about them - how did I do???? Well, you're not that bozo - be glad.

6. Default conversion black powder to cap and ball??

100_3240.jpg100_3241.jpgI don't know where to list this item but, hoping it can be identified. it is with the trap door I listed. I need information as to market value and time frame it was used. it is dated 1835 and U.S. on the plate. no butt plate markings or barrel band marks. there is an oval stamp on top of stock near butt plate but, cant make it out. bayonet is U.S.marked.hope the few pictures posted can help to id this rifle. 1 problem, hammer does not stay in position, some thing is broken inside. seller wants 600.00.100_3237.jpg100_3238.jpg100_3239.jpg

7. Default

sir, I thank you. its good to know that there are those who are willing to help out and give advice. I don't like to or want to be a pain in the ass but, how else can some one learn if one doesn't ask questions. thank you again.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Hosmer View Post
    That WAS a Model 1868 Rifle manufactured in 1870, before Bubba got to it. Not worth even close to $600 - stock and barrel have been cut short, matching no original version of the gun. Stock has been reprofiled around the lock. Breechblock is of correct type but not original to gun, due to wrong date. Finish shows heavy wear. Not even a good candidate for parts. I wouldn't give $300 for it.

Sorry - but look on the bright side: You were smart enough to realize you lacked the knowledge to make a good decision, and so are MILES ahead of the sad bozos who burst on the scene, like a dog wanting to be patted on the head, with: "Hey guys, I just bought a XXXXXXXX - I don't know anything about them - how did I do???? Well, you're not that bozo - be glad.
    Ha! Thank you Dick!!
    yea,... "What did I just buy, and how much is it worth?"
    Last edited by Fred; 05-15-2017 at 02:10.