Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

Thanks Sunray.

I understand it will cost some cash to make this rifle GI again, (not orig) stock ($100-200), sight ($50), buttplate ($20-50),
    re-park and who knows what else.
    But to me this isnt Apples to CMP M1 Apples they WERE GI and not in this rifles current condition for that price.

The dovetail does concern me as he has a Williams sight on this now that slides in the dovetail but
    has set screws that anchor down on the back of the receiver. Wobbily, probably.

And no clue on how she shoots either.

Bottom line is he wants to trade a mint S&W .357 with holster, belt and ammo for that M1.
    I'm not biting on that, hence the $400 appraisal.
    Think I'll just walk away........

Raggs

Quote Originally Posted by IditarodJoe View Post
    I'll be interested in seeing what others have to say, but I suspect the seller may be closer to reality than you are. Within the market range, value depends on condition, condition, and condition. You haven't told us much, other than that it needs a stock and a rear sight - maybe $100 in the current market. Pictures would help. From what I've seen, $875 is probably in the general ballpark for a good USGI shooter.
    I agree. In my neck of the woods, even a beater goes for $750, One as described closer to a grand.
    He who beats his sword into a plowshare, will soon be plowing for somebody else!

Today to restore this carbine would cost $250 for a correct dated barrel if you can find one. $250 for a correct Underwood stock if you can find one. $150 for a correct rear sight and $150 for a correct barrel band. Good luck finding those. Now at $800 we are not finished. Now if any of the trigger housing and parts have been changed then you must also add those to the cost and include the front sight too. Yes one needs deep pockets to restore a carbine today. But there is one good thing in that the dove tail for the rear sight has not been staked and marked by the use of an adjustable rear sight. That is a desirable thing. But once done the value of a nice restoration will increase the value to the $1500 to $2000 range. But it can take years to find original parts for this and you have to be aware of the fake parts sold as originals. Rear sights, barrel bands, stocks and some trigger parts. You really have to know what is real and what is fake.

Quote Originally Posted by raggs View Post
    Joe & Tuna, thanks for the replies. I'm a little surprised on what you guys say these are worth these days.

Now I'm not in the same location as the carbine in question is but I did get some pics sent to me.

Attachment 40752Attachment 40753Attachment 40754

As far as the stock maker goes, no clue, I cant put my own eyes on it, but it doesnt have the oiler cut.
    The rear sight a Williams adjustable sight, but from the pics posted it looks like some put some effort into removing
    the original flip sight. The rear of the receiver looks pretty beat up.
    The front band has been replaced with a bayonet band and there is good park left on the barrel.
    I'd imagine if took this thing down she'd be just a mess of a mixmaster.

There is some horse trading he wants to do for this but I gotta know a reasonable price on putting this
    back in GI condition first. If I walk from it no big deal.

Thanks again

Raggs
    From this description I wonder why you would even bother with it? Spend a few xtra bucks and buy a decent carbine. In the end you will be better off. You can never put it back to GI condition. (depends on what that means, I guess)
    You can never go home again.

Somewhere I have one of those barrels for Canadian use. It's an Inland barrel cut down to about 15" with the last 3" or so lathe cut down to fit into the bore of another barrel. The muzzle end of the barrel ( about 7" or so) is a Rock-ola and bored out to it will fit over the lathe cut of the Inland barrel. The 2 sections are pressed on to each other. There were a few discussions about this on the old Jouster forum years ago with many insisting that the 2 sections were welded together but that is not the case. It's just a tight tolerance swaged on fit. This is done to make a legal 19" barrel for Canada using existing surplus barrels at the time. This only leaves about 15" of rifling--the rest is bored out. If I could find it I would photo it but there isn't much to see.