Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I looked at the photos again, this time with book in hand - I am guilty of doing way too much by eye, and off the top of my head, and the older I get the more my accuracy level is beginning to suffer.

The arch ends beneath the middle of the 'scallop' on the right side - that makes it a short (1868) arch, so, given the thicker 'deck', it is basically an 1868 all the way, leaving only the mystery of just why it is not dated.

This could play in favor of Al's theory on the Trials rifle blocks, which he feels were thick, but did not (as far as I can recall) ever say they were not dated. My contention has always been that one of the features under trial would have been the greater degree of opening allowed by the thinner deck of the 1870 block. So, since the 1000+ rifles and 300+ carbines were made at basically the same time in the same facility, under the same authorization, I've always thought they should have the same block.

It will be interesting to see what physical examination turns up. It's good to know that the block will be in caring hands.
    Last edited by Dick Hosmer; 05-07-2017 at 01:04.

I'll post pictures when it arrives. It should be interesting to see what it looks like in person. I was looking for a closer block for my 1868 carbine project and stumbled upon this one. I missed an 1870 dated block with no MODEL the day before.

No telling what passes through eBay as people decide parts are worth more that completed items. I have managed to save a few items and reassemble the parts. Most of the time it's just too expensive.
    Never Give Up, Never Surrender!

Here is one for sale that is the same type. No date on a thick (1868 type) block.
    Just click on the link below...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Orig-M1868...UAAOSwJcZWeCoP

Nope, NOT same - that's the "normal" replacement block, shown in my book and elsewhere - totally different eagle head. I believe mine has the long arch and thin deck, in other words an 1870, but I'm not sure exactly where it is just now.

Yes, I stand corrected. The eagle heads are most certainly different.

I should have the other one in a few days. I almost bought that other one a couple of times. I was looking for something cheaper. This one was less.

I promise to post better pictures.

The breech block arrived and it is clearly an 1869 dated block. A little cleaning and a good magnifier and that's the story. Sad, I was hoping for something special. The block is still in very good shape.

Last edited by Tkacook; 05-13-2017 at 07:26.

Thanks for the update - sorry it turned out to be routine - but, at least it was something to talk about, which is a good thing.

Always fun to dream about finding special items!