Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default S&W Victory Lend Lease problem

Gents,

I've just acquired a Lend Lease Victory model in 38 S&W. This has not been cut for 38 Special. It is all matching, with the standard Brit markings and not refinished or import marked.

I loaded it with PPU 38 S&W and the first five rounds fired fine shooting it single action. While cocking it for round #6, the piece would not index and the cylinder stuck. I was able to get it open with a sharp rap with the heel of my hand. So, I cleared the revolver and cocked and pulled the trigger through both single and double action with no problems. I loaded up again to fire and had the same problems once again. Ultimately, I found that the cartridge in the seven o'clock position when using the cylinder serial number as the 12 o'clock reference, is dragging as it rotates into the firing position. No other rounds do this. If I only load 5 rounds, the piece operates just fine. My first thought was the PPU was at fault. I have a few other makes of 38SW and to a lesser degree, they behaved the same as the PPU. Any ideas why I have this issue only on the one chamber? I'm thinking of cylinder disassembly and thorough cleaning of the ejector with the thought it may be riding "high" at that point.

Has anybody else experienced this issue? Any solutions?

I'm currently OCONUS so I can't look at the pistol but will be back in a week.

I'm open to any and all suggestions,

TIA,
    VG

Anything under the star would raise the whole star up . I'd guess crud in that one cylinder hole is not allowing that cartridge to seat all the way . Could be on the rim shelf or down deep . Clean and examine .
    Chris

I agree with Chris. Check for dirt in the cylinder hole that a brass wire brush can easily remove. If it still sticks after cleaning, check to see if the cylinder hole is distorted from the revolver being dropped. Also make sure the star isn't distorted.
    Last edited by Merc; 05-05-2017 at 07:10.

Also check the extractor rod to be sure it is not out of round. But I think Chris is right about crud.

Also check the extractor rod to be sure it is not out of round. Also check that the cylinder is not dragging against the mouth of the barrel as it rotates that one chamber.

Thanks Guys! When I get home I'll give it a good cleaning and see what happens then report back. Of note, I contacted the seller (this was a GB purchase) and they have been very gracious so far and are awaiting the results of my future cleaning efforts. Overall, the piece looked very clean so I didn't hesitate to load it up and fire it. I still find it odd only one chamber would give me problems.

VG

I believe I've identified the problem with the pistol. The chamber at the 7 o'clock position, when using the cylinder serial number as the 12 o'clock reference, does not allow a round to fully seat. This is what creates the drag and does not allow the cylinder to fully rotate. The seating problem appears to be the fault of the ejector or as some call it, the star. Cleaning with Hoppes and brass brushes did not solve the issue.

In the link to a photo, you can clearly see the center spent cartridge seated higher than the others. In fact, I can lift it out by sliding a fingernail under it.

Replacing the ejector is pretty easy. Finding a correct one might be a bit more dicey. I'm still at a loss as to why/how this ejector is buggered. I can see no damage or attempt at modification. I find it hard to believe this pistol would have left the factory let alone get British proofed if this existed. I'm stumped...

http://www.jouster.com/forums/album.php?albumid=403

I've been using the word ejector when I believe I should have been using extractor. At any rate, it's the star shaped thing that pops the spent shells out.

These guys have them for $14.10 . Is there one tiny locating pin or two ?
    http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufact...tm?results=All
    Chris

Its a 2 pin. Thanks! If I recall, pre 1960-ish revolvers are right hand thread?