Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Shapiro View Post
    I'm with Dick so far as it being damaged in use. Was just reading "Rifles of the United States Navy and Marine Corps". At the time the Marines were using the M1868. There was mention of several rifles being damaged aboard ship. Investigation revealed that the rifle racks had been placed inappropriately and that 'two open hatch covers were found lying against the rifles (while in their racks)'.
    Wow! Yea, that'd be a tremendous pounding!

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Hosmer View Post
    Since the part is so easily removable, why not just obtain a replacement? I may even have one which I'd loan/give you for shooting (you did say you were going to, did you not?). You can always save the original to pass along with the gun. I would absolutely NOT try to repair it with other parts. Either straighten the original or put it aside, and I lean strongly towards the latter. The hammer on my Type 2 Springfield-Sharps has a very minor but annoying (to me, since I am aware of it) tweak. I cannot tell you how many times I have almost started to "fix" it, and stopped before I did something I'd regret.
    Yep, I'll go ahead and just buy a spare one to shoot the rifle with for when I set up a 100 yard range out here.
    Ill keep both parts either on or with the rifle within a little bag tied to the trigger guard.

Alrighty then... I've got one on the way from S&S.

Quote Originally Posted by alfajim View Post
    Fred if you can't fix it successfully and it has a square on the shaft for the cam side there is a bare shaft on e bay for it.

Jim
    Jim, after receiving in the mail the cam latch I ordered, I noticed that the original on my number 6 rifle has a Round riveted head as opposed to the Square head on the temporary replacement that I ordered.
    So, has anyone else noticed a Round rivet head on the camlatch of any other 1868?

image.jpg

image.jpg

Looks to me like the latch face was never machined after upsetting - I'm betting shafts are ALL square.

Yep. I believe you're right Dick. It'd be interesting to know just when that change occurred.