Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

By the way, your 1898 Krag is an easy fix too if and when you decide to reassemble it to original specs as per the rifles issued to the 26th US Vol. Infantry. All of the correct parts can be found on eBay.

Except for the finish and the bolt and the serrated butt plate and serrated trigger, your rifle should look pretty much like my old 1920 National Match rifle in profile. Just click on the link below...

http://www.jouster.com/forums/showth...National+Match
    Last edited by Fred; 04-25-2017 at 03:13.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Your rear sight ladder should Not have a Volley Notch on the top. It should Not have an R for Remington on it anywhere. It should have curved legs on the Seven's (7) as they are Springfield Armory sight leafs and Not Rock Island made. Those have Straight legs on the Sevens, not curved.
    The tightening knob will be a specific type too as well as the lateral adjustment (what is called the Windage knob) knob. There are pictures available of those that some can post for you.

The bolt could be a double heat treated one with a stamping of WL and 3 on top of the bolt handle.

Go to this site below and click on it. It's the only place you can find this information.

http://www.vishooter.net/m1903.html
    Thanks Fred now I know exactly what to look for. I have been on Vi's page and it has been very helpful but your detail is perfect. The bolt has the WL and 3

By the way, your 1898 Krag is an easy fix too if and when you decide to reassemble it to original specs as per the rifles issued to the 26th US Vol. Infantry. All of the correct parts can be found on eBay.
    You basically have a receiver, bolt, butt plate, and rear band, trigger guard, You'll need an 1896 rifle rear sight (there's more than one and Krag Rifle and Five Mad Farmers and Dick Culver can teach you about those and everything else concerning Krags), a stock, 1896 hand guard, 1898 Front Band and a barrel with an 1896 front sight blade.
    Everything can be found on eBay. Honest Injun!
    Last edited by Fred; 04-25-2017 at 04:50.

5. Default

Can I just put you on retainer??

6. Default

As the saying goes when it rains it pours! In this case its a good thing 3 projects at one time that's just how the opportunity presented itself and who am I to argue . I am building my way up to restoring that Krag I think it deserves to be fixed.

Yes, it is. Even the slide tightening knob is correct for 1922 I do believe. However somebody else can verify that or correct me for you.

The rear sight has been refinished to WWII specs. Don't know if that makes a difference or not to you.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Discus420 View Post
    Can I just put you on retainer??
    I would be only too happy to let you know where and when I locate each needed part of your Krag for you to correctly put it back into configuration of what the 26th received in 1899. They will be found on eBay or Gunbroker or S&S Firearms or J.D.Christopher's
    Also, you will not need to pay me a dime for anything I find in the box and forward to you on that rifle. Thanks for offering though.
    Last edited by Fred; 04-25-2017 at 04:47.