Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Default Remington or S.A. which do I choose??

I got both these actions at an estate sale. I can only afford to keep one and restore it so.......

Which one would you pick?
    3470345 Remington 1943 (M1903A3) and 1253181 (1923) S.A

If both of these barreled actions are equal in condition are they valued the same? Is one worth more than the other? if so why??
    Last edited by Discus420; 04-22-2017 at 04:18.

2. Default

Probably easier and cheaper to restore the M1903-A3, but the SA would be worth more when completed.

The Springfield Armory would be pretty easy to complete and would be way neater.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    The Springfield Armory would be pretty easy to complete and would be way neater.
    Thanks m1903 and Fred I'm gonna restore the S.A. should be fun fun fun I get them Tuesday!..... Hey Fred that's funny we both live in the same place!!.....garage is mine
    Last edited by Discus420; 04-22-2017 at 08:28.

You want an '03 or an '03A3? A rebuild is a rebuild otherwise. A great deal depends on your budget though.
    Based just on Gunparts' availability the '03A3 will be easier. Gunparts has barrels(replacement barrel manufactured by ER Shaw) for those but not for 03's.
    Spelling and grammar count!

I get most of my 1903 parts from gunparts. But barrels and stocks are almost only available on eBay (and at times on GunBroker) but expect to pay top dollar as these two items are in short Supply. Good choice tho for a project and it it fun to do. Send us photos when you're done

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by louis View Post
    I get most of my 1903 parts from gunparts. But barrels and stocks are almost only available on eBay (and at times on GunBroker) but expect to pay top dollar as these two items are in short Supply. Good choice tho for a project and it it fun to do. Send us photos when you're done
    How about if I send a photo now! because I already need some help. Can someone explain what I need to get as far as rear sights please? I am going to restore both they both have great barrels and I figure two is gotta be better than one when it comes to any gun....

3470345 Remington 1943 barrel is a 2/43 and 1253181 (1923) S.A barrel is 12/22

IMG_1730.jpg

If you really don't know much about 1903's or what parts to look for and obtain or where to find them, or even which of the rifles you like best and so will choose, then in all honesty, I don't think that you are ready for this project.
    If the 1903 were mine, it would be a very easy rifle for me to complete accurately. If you don't know where to go to find the correct parts or even what correct parts are necessary for that rifle, why are you even wanting to do it? It's like this, if someone else were to correctly assemble the rifle for you, how would you be able to subsequently thoroughly enjoy going over it with hand and eye while you cradle it in your arms and handle it if you can't recognize how proper and correct it appears to be? You really wouldn't know if it was correct or not unless somebody told you.
    I think that if and when you are in possession of a correct as assembled 1903 or 1903 A3 (I have never had a desire for one of those by the way), you will not be in a position to appreciate it nearly as much as you would if you really knew and therefor appreciated such a rifle.
    What I'm saying is this... Learn the subject well FIRST and THEN you'll be ready for your project.
    I'm not trying to hurt your feelings or be an a$$hole, I just think that you ought to set your priorities right first to get the full enjoyment out of it. All of the information you need is in a handful of books that are available to you and also in the knowledge of the subject here on this excellent forum. I've been messing with 1903's for over 40 years and I handled and examined lots of correct and incorrect rifles For Some Time before I ever bought one while learning about what was the correct and the as issued form for each from Brophy's book and from photo's of rifles belonging to knowledgeable collectors. When I finaly bought my first 1903, I recognized its original correctness and was therefor thrilled to have found and obtained it. Keep asking around and keep studying the subject a lot. Then you will Really enjoy the subject of your project when you know more.
    You've already got your barreled receiver so start learning about the subject. Learn what went on a rifle of 1922 vintage. You will then know what to look for and the rest is so very easy.
    Every part that you will need is still available. Every part.
    Last edited by Fred; 04-25-2017 at 02:28.

9. Default

can anyone tell me what the correct markings are, for a rear sight, on a 1922 Springfield M1903? I found one marked O.L. and the other is marked G
    Last edited by Discus420; 04-25-2017 at 02:49.

Your rear sight ladder should Not have a Volley Notch on the top. It should Not have an R for Remington on it anywhere. It should have curved legs on the Seven's (7) as they are Springfield Armory sight leafs and Not Rock Island made. Those have Straight legs on the Sevens, not curved. Because Remington used the original Rock Island tooling and machinery to make 1903's, they too will have straight legged 7's, BUT they will also have an R stamped on them as well as on the knobs.
    The tightening knob will be a specific type too as well as the lateral adjustment (what is called the Windage knob) knob. There are pictures available of those that some can post for you.

The bolt could be a double heat treated one with a stamping of WL and 3 on top of the bolt handle.

Go to this site below and click on it. It's the only place you can find this information.

http://www.vishooter.net/m1903.html
    Last edited by Fred; 04-25-2017 at 04:31.