Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    Was anyone ever punished for that?
    There were courts martial, surprisingly for senior officers, and at least one conviction. USMC Major Littleton Waller escaped punishment because he was able to produce written orders from Brig. Gen. Jacob Smith, directing him to take no prisoners and kill every male over the age of 10. Jacob Smith was tried for conduct to the prejudice of good order etc., convicted and given a reprimand.

Smith was subsequently "retired" from the Army by Secretary Elihu Root, apparently at the wishes of President Roosevelt.

jn

If you research Doug out Doug's yearly Annual report for operations in the Philippines you may get lucky on the 26th...regards...alex

U.S. Volunteer units were authorized by congress during the Spanish American War. Three Regiments of Volunteer Cavalry (1000 men/Reg.) were authorized on legislation provided by Melvin Grigsby Attorney General of South Dakota. Grigsby was awarded the command (Not by the Gov. of SD) but on Federal Authority, of the 3rd Regiment, raised in SD, ND, Neb., and Mt. Leonard Wood commanded the 1st raised in the SW. States and the 2nd was raised in Wyo./Co. These were Federally authorized and the Col. were appointed. The 1st (Rough Riders) were the only unit to go over seas. Grigsby's Cowboys went to Chicamaga, Ga. for training. I have the unit history published in 1899 which gives a great description of the entire 6 mo. unit history. Pictures are great with Krag Carbines, Colt SAA, and all the accutrements issued. There are even lists of rations. Pretty rare book but a great insight on the period.

I seem to remember reading that part of the 3rd USV Cavalry was raised in Nevada, that part or all of that unit went back east but never made it to Cuba, and that a couple companies at least went to the Philippines. It was a document on the Nevada Historical Society web page IIRC. I was goofing around with another SRS carbine hit from this site. I'll see if I can find it again.

Here's the muster for troops A through E. No mention of Nevada.

http://files.usgwarchives.net/sd/mil...-am/lxxvii.txt

jn
    Last edited by jon_norstog; 04-20-2017 at 07:58.

I may have been thinking of the First Nevada Volunteer Cavalry - Troop A did go to the Philippines. My bad!

http://www.omsa.org/files/jomsa_arch...ol30_12_04.pdf

jn

Quote Originally Posted by jon_norstog View Post
    Found a little on this unit. They were involved in the "pacification" of Samar after the attack on C Company of the 9th Infantry in Balangiga earlier in the year. The Army was out for blood:

"

In the April 18, 1902 issue of the New York World, Richard Thomas O'Brien, formerly a corporal in Company M, 26th U.S. Volunteer Infantry Regiment, based in Miag-ao, Iloilo Province, Panay Island, described how his birthday went on Dec. 27, 1901 at Barrio Lanog: [LEFT, Miag-ao Church, late 1890's]

"It was on the 27th day of December, the anniversary of my birth, and I shall never forget the scenes I witnessed on that day. As we approached the town the word passed along the line that there would be no prisoners taken. It meant that we were to shoot every living thing in sight—man, woman, and child. The first shot was fired by the then first sergeant of our company. His target was a mere boy, who was coming down the mountain path into the town astride of a caribou. The boy was not struck by the bullet, but that was not the sergeant's fault. The little Filipino boy slid from the back of his caribou and fled in terror up the mountain side. Half a dozen shots were fired after him. The shooting now had attracted the villagers, who came out of their homes in alarm, wondering what it all meant. They offered no offense, did not display a weapon, made no hostile movement whatsoever, but they were ruthlessly shot down in cold blood—men, women, and children. The poor natives huddled together or fled in terror. Many were pursued and killed on the spot.

"Two old men, bearing between them a white flag and clasping hands like two brothers, approached the lines. Their hair was white. They fairly tottered, they were so feeble under the weight of years. To my horror and that of the other men in the command, the order was given to fire, and the two old men were shot down in their tracks. We entered the village. A man who had been on a sick-bed appeared at the doorway of his home. He received a bullet in the abdomen and fell dead in the doorway. Dum-dum bullets were used in that massacre, but we were not told the name of the bullets. We didn't have to be told. We knew what they were.

"In another part of the village a mother with a babe at her breast and two young children at her side pleaded for mercy. She feared to leave her home, which had just been fired—accidentally, I believe. She faced the flames with her children, and not a hand was raised to save her or the little ones. They perished miserably. It was sure death if she left the house—it was sure death if she remained. She feared the American soldiers, however, worse than the devouring flames."

Company M was commanded by Capt. Fred McDonald."

jn
    That's some hard reading Jon. Almost makes me look upon my 92/96 rifles with disgust! Perhaps not, but now I'll be wondering...same as any of my other milsurps I guess.
    "I have sworn upon the Altar of God, eternity hostility upon all forms of tyranny over the minds of man." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by madsenshooter View Post
    That's some hard reading Jon. Almost makes me look upon my 92/96 rifles with disgust! Perhaps not, but now I'll be wondering...same as any of my other milsurps I guess.
    I can see how it could get to you. These are weapons of war and like Sherman said, war is hell. And some men are devils who are right at home in that hell. You can't blame the gun, you gotta blame the man.

jn

I've been on facebook too much Jon, was looking for a like button! Not the gun I agree, those behind it. I must be getting soft in my old age.
    Last edited by madsenshooter; 04-21-2017 at 01:22.
    "I have sworn upon the Altar of God, eternity hostility upon all forms of tyranny over the minds of man." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Discus420 View Post
    SRS hit 171840 98 R 07 15 99 26TH USV INF (ISSUED)

So I got this rifle and would love to find out more on the History I have been googling the Shot out of it and don't find much on 26th USV Infantry

Anybody have any suggestions??

Attachment 40583

P.S. later found out the serial is 171849 but with luck still has the same SRS info 171849 98 R 07 15 99 26TH USV INF (ISSUED)
    I believe that the Model 1898 rifles issued to the 26th U.S.Vollunteer Infantry in July of 1899 all had 1896 rear sights and hand guards and 1896 front sights.
    Many must've been updated after turn in. 172986 was still intact and original.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    I believe that the Model 1898 rifles issued to the 26th U.S.Vollunteer Infantry in July of 1899 all had 1896 rear sights and hand guards and 1896 front sights.
    Many must've been updated after turn in. 172986 was still intact and original.

I once owned rifles 171117 and 172986. Both were shipped within the same rifle crate as per the records that I received from Springfield Research. Frank Mallory sent me a photocopy of the unit's weekly journal or report while they were serving overseas. He also sent me the typed list of every rifle by serial number and another set of photocopies of the original hand written list of rifle chests by number as well as the serial number of every rifle within each rifle crate.

Hi Fred

Any luck with the documents showing which crate it was in?? If we can get a few more documents my son is going to use all this information for a thesis paper on Gun History. He is going to school to become a history teacher...

Thnaks Fred you have been so helpful we really appreciate all of it!!
    Last edited by Discus420; 04-24-2017 at 02:40.