Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default Krag SRS hit ....so need help on history

SRS hit 171849 98 R 07 15 99 26TH USV INF (ISSUED)

So I got this rifle and would love to find out more on the History I have been googling the Shot out of it and don't find much on 26th USV Infantry

Anybody have any suggestions??

87980811.jpg

P.S. later found out the serial is 171849 but with luck still has the same SRS info 171849 98 R 07 15 99 26TH USV INF (ISSUED)
    Last edited by Discus420; 07-24-2017 at 12:06.

Good luck in your search. Don't know if you're familiar with the history, but The 'Dick Act of 1916' established what is now known as "The National Guard". Prior to that, each state had it's own army.....er....ah....."militia". In times of National Emergency, militia units could "volunteer" for Federal service. So naturally, there were a lot of "26th US VOLUNTEERS. The problem is finding out WHAT STATE they came from. Example: Teddy Roosevelt and his '1st US Volunteer Cavalry'. The US Army already had a "1st US Cavalry".....hence the insertion of the word VOLUNTEER in the title of Teddy's unit. Makes for a lot of confusion.

On another note, used to be that the military would append the YEAR to the description of a piece of equipment that was adopted/issued. Made sense. Then in 1936 the military decided that each new piece of equipment would be designated "M1" or (Model 1), followed by M2, M3 etc. So, today, with a computer.....search for "M1". Rifle? Carbine? Radio? Mess gear? Helmet? Bayonet? Kind of explains why we have the "M16 rifle" and the "M4 carbine".
    Last edited by Dan Shapiro; 04-17-2017 at 04:02.
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe, while Congress is in session." Mark Twain

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Discus420 View Post
    SRS hit 171840 98 R 07 15 99 26TH USV INF (ISSUED)

So I got this rifle and would love to find out more on the History I have been googling the Shot out of it and don't find much on 26th USV Infantry

Anybody have any suggestions??

87980811.jpg
    State Militia units were raised by the Sates. Thus the "1st New York Volunteer Infantry" would be a State Militia unit taken into Federal service. As the war ended quickly they needed to discharge them but the need for troops in the Philippines still existed - beyond what the regular army could do.

On March 2, 1899, they authorized 35,000 additional troops. Unlike the previous ones, these were true "United States Volunteers." The 26th United States Volunteers were raised by the Feds and had no State affiliation.

The 26th United States Volunteer Infantry arrived in Manila on the 24th of October, 1899.

Not a State unit. United States Volunteers. In World War One that would be basically "National Army."
    Regular Army (Divisions 1-25)
    National Guard [Militia] (Divisions 26-75)
    National Army [Volunteers or draftees] (Divisions 76+)

So the Militia became the National Guard and the United States Volunteers became the National Army.

Found a little on this unit. They were involved in the "pacification" of Samar after the attack on C Company of the 9th Infantry in Balangiga earlier in the year. The Army was out for blood:

"

In the April 18, 1902 issue of the New York World, Richard Thomas O'Brien, formerly a corporal in Company M, 26th U.S. Volunteer Infantry Regiment, based in Miag-ao, Iloilo Province, Panay Island, described how his birthday went on Dec. 27, 1901 at Barrio Lanog: [LEFT, Miag-ao Church, late 1890's]

"It was on the 27th day of December, the anniversary of my birth, and I shall never forget the scenes I witnessed on that day. As we approached the town the word passed along the line that there would be no prisoners taken. It meant that we were to shoot every living thing in sight—man, woman, and child. The first shot was fired by the then first sergeant of our company. His target was a mere boy, who was coming down the mountain path into the town astride of a caribou. The boy was not struck by the bullet, but that was not the sergeant's fault. The little Filipino boy slid from the back of his caribou and fled in terror up the mountain side. Half a dozen shots were fired after him. The shooting now had attracted the villagers, who came out of their homes in alarm, wondering what it all meant. They offered no offense, did not display a weapon, made no hostile movement whatsoever, but they were ruthlessly shot down in cold blood—men, women, and children. The poor natives huddled together or fled in terror. Many were pursued and killed on the spot.

"Two old men, bearing between them a white flag and clasping hands like two brothers, approached the lines. Their hair was white. They fairly tottered, they were so feeble under the weight of years. To my horror and that of the other men in the command, the order was given to fire, and the two old men were shot down in their tracks. We entered the village. A man who had been on a sick-bed appeared at the doorway of his home. He received a bullet in the abdomen and fell dead in the doorway. Dum-dum bullets were used in that massacre, but we were not told the name of the bullets. We didn't have to be told. We knew what they were.

"In another part of the village a mother with a babe at her breast and two young children at her side pleaded for mercy. She feared to leave her home, which had just been fired—accidentally, I believe. She faced the flames with her children, and not a hand was raised to save her or the little ones. They perished miserably. It was sure death if she left the house—it was sure death if she remained. She feared the American soldiers, however, worse than the devouring flames."

Company M was commanded by Capt. Fred McDonald."

jn

Was anyone ever punished for that?
    You can never go home again.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by 5MadFarmers View Post
    State Militia units were raised by the Sates. Thus the "1st New York Volunteer Infantry" would be a State Militia unit taken into Federal service. As the war ended quickly they needed to discharge them but the need for troops in the Philippines still existed - beyond what the regular army could do.

On March 2, 1899, they authorized 35,000 additional troops. Unlike the previous ones, these were true "United States Volunteers." The 26th United States Volunteers were raised by the Feds and had no State affiliation.

The 26th United States Volunteer Infantry arrived in Manila on the 24th of October, 1899.

Not a State unit. United States Volunteers. In World War One that would be basically "National Army."
    Regular Army (Divisions 1-25)
    National Guard [Militia] (Divisions 26-75)
    National Army [Volunteers or draftees] (Divisions 76+)

So the Militia became the National Guard and the United States Volunteers became the National Army.
    IIRC, there was some legal question as to whether State militia could be used overseas and they sidestepped it by more or less disbanding and reforming the "(Insert State here) State militia" into (Insert State here) "Volunteer" Infantry (etc.) with very limited enlistment terms. When those units' time expired, they returned home and became, once again, the original militia unit. USV units raised were as you say, and in many cases were better trained and equipped than either Regular Army or State units, with higher quality recruits. But they too, were eventually phased out. The "National Army" of WWI was created from the huge induction of draftees, and I don't believe they were directly descended from the USV program.

I once owned rifles 171117 and 172986. Both were shipped within the same rifle crate as per the records that I received from Springfield Research. Frank Mallory sent me a photocopy of the unit's weekly journal or report while they were serving overseas. He also sent me the typed list of every rifle by serial number and another set of photocopies of the original hand written list of rifle chests by number as well as the serial number of every rifle within each rifle crate.

Damn Damn Damn the Inserecto's
    Pock marked Kakiak Ladrones
    Underneath the Stary Flag
    Civilize them with a Krag
    And return us to our own beloved homes
    Last edited by Fred; 04-18-2017 at 02:04.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by M2Phil View Post
    IIRC, there was some legal question as to whether State militia could be used overseas and they sidestepped it by more or less disbanding and reforming the "(Insert State here) State militia" into (Insert State here) "Volunteer" Infantry (etc.) with very limited enlistment terms.
    Correct.

USV units raised were as you say, and in many cases were better trained and equipped than either Regular Army or State units, with higher quality recruits. But they too, were eventually phased out. The "National Army" of WWI was created from the huge induction of draftees, and I don't believe they were directly descended from the USV program.
    Not "direct" but in concept.

19th century. The army and militia were really internal. Army called first and then militia.
    20th century. Which, with respect to this, really started in 1898. No more internal. Indian wars were over. Now the army would likely be overseas instead of at home. Militia needed to morph. Army needed a way to expand without tagging the militia. U.S. Volunteers. Then National Army. Then reserves right? "Federal militia" in some ways.

They've morphed it as conditions have changed. When a problem identifies itself they do a quick fix and then address it. Militia needed to morph so the Dick Act of 1903 did that. Army wanted more control and received that via the National Defense Act of 1916. Which pretty much nuked the organized militia with it replaced by the national guard. Also created that National Army thing.

So, no not direct, but the seed.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    I once owned rifles 171117 and 172986. Both were shipped within the same rifle crate as per the records that I received from Springfield Research. Frank Mallory sent me a photocopy of the unit's weekly journal or report while they were serving overseas. He also sent me the typed list of every rifle by serial number and another set of photocopies of the original hand written list of rifle chests by number as well as the serial number of every rifle within each rifle crate.
    Fred
    Is there any way I Could get a copy of that info for my records since they shipped together please I will split the cost of the material with you I know it wasn't free

In the days of dopey dreams—
    happy, peaceful Philippines,
    When the bolomen were busy all night long.
    When ladrones would steal and lie, and Americanos die
    Then you heard the soldiers sing this evening song:
    Damn, damn, damn the insurrectos!
    Cross-eyed kakiac ladrones!Underneath the starry flag,
    civilize 'em with a Krag,
    And return us to our own beloved homes.
    Last edited by Discus420; 04-18-2017 at 06:21.

10. Default

Thank you all I cant begin to say how amazed I am at the knowledge you guys have
    Last edited by Discus420; 04-18-2017 at 06:22.