Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Re-use pulled bullets?

I am pulling down a bunch of handloaded 9mm ammo (not mine) that I just don't trust in my Glock. I have been in contact with a competitive shooter on another forum and he advised me NOT to re-use the bullets. I am pulling them with my Hornady collet puller and they are not damaged at all so I don't understand his reasons.

When asked why not re-use them, he said.... "because you don't know what the original resize die was nor how much crimp was applied. Some loaders use undersized dies. And it also depends on the bullet construction, cast, copper plated, moly coated, poly coated, complete metal jacket or full (front) metal jacket. It doesn't mean it won't work, but why bother??

These are 115gr FMJ bullets, nothing out of the ordinary. Basically I just want to change the powder and use the rest. Any thoughts on this?
    Last edited by Brad in Idaho; 04-12-2017 at 10:16.

been there done that--many times

Re-use pulled bullets? Absolutely not a problem at all. Have done so with both handgun and rifle rounds. Recycled the bullets and powders. Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

I guess you intend to reload some ammo with these pulled bullets, I've done that several times with zero problems.
    I DDUW BO'R DIOLCH

No problem, if in doubt roll them across a flight surface with the palm of your hand to check them. @ 21 feet you just need minute of chest, about 6 inches will do nicely.
    Sam
    P.S. I would be more concerned with reloaded brass in a Glock with the original tube.
    Last edited by S.A. Boggs; 04-12-2017 at 07:05.

I just pulled 45 acp military surplus as it was corrosive using a impact type puller. Bullets cannot be used. Heavy crimp plus decreased diameter. I have pulled alot of 30/06 military and never had a problem with rifle bullets. Just my two cents!
    Matt
    "When you tax away the rewards of effort, you destroy the motivation to achieve"

Pulled many a bullet. As long as there is no damage, reload them.

Change the powder, use the rest and you'll be fine. Matters to a competitive shooter, but 115 grain FMJ's are a long way from being match bullets. That don't exist in 9mm anyway.
    However, the rest of his, um, reason is silly. 9mm uses a taper crimp only. Won't bother anything. Certainly not on an FMJ.
    And the original resize die makes no difference at all. Dunno where he gets the idea there's such a thing as an undersized sizer die. Must have seen it on the Internet.
    Spelling and grammar count!

9. Default

For 9mm at pistol range you are good to go. Don't bother with 147g .30 cal pulldowns, if you care about accuracy.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Sunray View Post
    Change the powder, use the rest and you'll be fine. Matters to a competitive shooter, but 115 grain FMJ's are a long way from being match bullets. That don't exist in 9mm anyway.
    However, the rest of his, um, reason is silly. 9mm uses a taper crimp only. Won't bother anything. Certainly not on an FMJ.
    And the original resize die makes no difference at all. Dunno where he gets the idea there's such a thing as an undersized sizer die. Must have seen it on the Internet.
    The person who offered the advice on the other forum is a longtime IDPA shooter/competitor. I have found that when you ask for advice on any gun forum, there are a multitude of opinions on any matter. I have used pulled bullets for rifle ammo, but loading for pistol will be a new endeavor. I know a lot of people re-use bullets they pull down so I wondered about his advice not to use them. I didn't want to be insulting by questioning him on the forum so we had a private conversation. At any rate, I'll try re-using these components including the bullets and see how it goes. Won't hurt to do up 50 or 100 for a test IMO. Thanks for the input to all.