Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Hosmer View Post
    Pictures are of the SAME gun - what's going on here??????
    I needed the money.........

Discus420 do you live in the Simi Valley area?

That is a rifle I would like to own because I like the cartridge, I like to shoot and I think it would be nice to hunt with. It would go nicely with my untouched 1866.
    "A man with a tractor and a chain saw has no excuses, nor does he need any"
    Me. "Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" Emerson "Consistency is the darling of those that stack wood or cast bullets" Me.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Trevor View Post
    Discus420 do you live in the Simi Valley area?
    No Colorado

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Discus420 View Post
    I just got this Chicago City Police M66 short rifle at auction it was sold as a "Springfield 2nd Model Allin Trapdoor Conversion of 1866". Its is a Bannerman conversion as it has a filled in middle barrel spring and the cleaning rod is not threaded. It is Marked C.C.P. and C.A. for Chicago City Police and Citizens Association. It also has a number 235 in the stock which is in the correct range of 296 guns given to the police by the citizens association as described in "History of the Chicago Police" by John Flinn 1887.
    I would really like to find more information on these. The only thing I have found is an article by Bruce Green in Trapdoor News from 8/12. Are there any more publications on these guns? Can someone tell me the approximate value of this Trapdoor? Any info would help!!
    200 of these short rifles came from NYC dealer Schuyler, Hartley & Graham, not Bannerman.
    On May 11, 1878, SH&G sold 100 "Allin Rifles & Bayts [sic] Bright 50/70 Refinished," to dealer E.E. Eaton in Chicago. Eaton purchased large amounts of military ordnance from SH&G in that time period.
    The rifles are described specifically as "Rifles cut down 5-1/2 in., front sight brazed on, stock tip 2-3/4 in. from muzzle, 2 round bands. Lower [swivel] & middle swivel on middle band and band springs, other description same as the regular rifle."
    On Oct. 14, SH&G sold and shipped another 100 Allin 50/70 rifles, not described but likely short rifles because in all other cases the “Long Allins” were specifically described.

Other descriptive documentation shows that these short rifles from SH&G had stocks "...refinished off to appear like a 45 cal stock," i.e. the stock flats were rounded off.

All this from my personal research in the SH&G records.
    Last edited by Edatbeach; 06-19-2017 at 09:52.