1. Default Ithica side by side

I just inherited my grandfathers Ithica side by side 20 gauge serial # 251400. He was a terrific shot once beating a pro shooter in a best out of 100. He shot 99 and the pro shot 98 out of 100. Grandad never took his 100th shot. Anyway, the shotgun has seen so much use that it is unsafe to shoot now. It has a small bulge in one barrel and the overall barrel thickness seems very thin to me. I am curious as to when it was made. Also, what are the chances of coming across a replacement barrel/barrels? Any info that anyone can give me would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance. RB

You'd need to know the model/style, but the PDF below may assist. Also, you could always have it sleeved to .410. Hope to help.
    http://www.ithacagun.com/pdfs/serialnumbers.pdf
    "Wars are, of course, as a rule to be avoided; but they are far better than certain kinds of peace." - T.R.

3. Default

Liam, Thanks for the info. The website you gave me indicates it was made in 1914, much earlier than I expected. I hadn't thought of resleeving the barrels to 410. In some ways that appeals to me as I hate to see any rifle/pistol/shotgun as a wall hanger only. I think though that the process would probably be too expensive as you would be doing two barrels and also I I would assume entail changing the extractor as well. I'll probably just keep it as is in memory of a very interesting man. RB

east of Eden in the land of Nod on the boulevard of broken dreams

These are a lot cheaper than resleeving a barrel , maybe you can shoot that old girl yet.
    http://gaugemate.com/info/sub-gauge-adapters
    Last edited by ray55classic; 03-31-2017 at 07:58.
    Hang the bitch , because simply fading away shouldn't be an option
    "Les Deplorables"

5. Default

Ray,

Thanks for the website. Sounds like a possibility. I've got it bookmarked for possible future reference. RB