Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Default

Could you show close up views of the receiver markings of the two 1879 Rem Lees? The early model has eluded me and I am still not sure I know what the receiver should look like. Thanks!

I like the looks of the 1885 model. Forward locking lugs?

jn

Very interesting rifles!

Default Close Up Receiver Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Kragrifle View Post
    Could you show close up views of the receiver markings of the two 1879 Rem Lees? The early model has eluded me and I am still not sure I know what the receiver should look like. Thanks!
    OK Kragrifle as promised in my PM here are additional photos of the receivers and markings of the two RL 1879 rifles. According to Eugene in his book the first contract rifles were inspected by Lt. W.W. Kimball and marked WWK as this one is, there were also sub inspector marks of H.N. marked in several places as seen in the photos. He states the 300 First Contract Navy rifles were delivered in January 1882. The serial number of this rifle is 276 marked in front of the Receiver markings that read (top line) THE LEE ARMS Co. BRIDGEPORT CONN. U.S.A. (bottom line) PATENTED NOV. 4th 1879 with the H.N. marked at the rear.

Remington – Lee Navy Rifle model 1879, First Contract, parts made by Sharps 1880, rifles assembled by Remington 1881 used Springfield Trapdoor barrel and sights, marked Lee Arms, 45-70 cal. The standard 1873 socket bayonet fits this rifle

According to Eugene in his book after the initial 300 rifles for the Navy Remington began work on the remaining 1,000 rifles from the initial Sharps production run. 700 of these rifles were offered to the Navy at a reduced price. The Navy took delivery of 120 rifles in August 1884 and another 580 rifles in October 1884 these rifles were inspected by Lt. William M Folger and marked WMF as this one is, there were no sub inspector marks. The serial number of this rifle is 826 and is marked behind the Receiver markings that read (top line) THE LEE ARMS Co. BRIDGEPORT CONN. U.S.A. (bottom line) PATENTED NOV. 4th 1879 same as the first contract Navy rifles except no H.N. sub markings.

Remington – Lee Navy Rifle model 1879, Second Purchase, actions made by Sharps 1880, rifles assembled by Remington 1882 used rolling block barrel and sights, marked Lee Arms, 45-70 cal. The standard 1873 socket bayonet will not fit this rifle because they used Remington rolling block parts to make it so it takes a Remington socket bayonet because the front sight is wider that the Springfield front sight

Last edited by cowtownscout; 11-11-2017 at 11:57.

The 1885 rifle - nice picture of the open bolt. Looks as if the bolt rib is the only locking lug? I wondered ..

jn

No, look closer, Jon - there is a lug on the left side as well, right in line with the rear of the rib.

Oh sure! There it is, same place as the safety lug on the '95 Remington Lee. Thanks, Dick!

jn

Used work around for the photo bucket ransom and fixed photos.
    Scout

9. Default

Thanks for the photos. So the only difference in receiver markings on the first 300 1879 rifles and the later rifles is the serial number?

Yo scout, thanks for putting this up. My own preference is for the Lee. If you don't have it yet, buy Dick Hosmer's book, Vol. 2, on "different" 45-70 U.S. military rifles.

jn