Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default New to me 1896 Krag

Hi guys,

I was just given this rifle by a family friend who wanted it to go to a "gun person". It is in fantastic cosmetic shape with a clean bore and buttery-smooth bolt throw. The rifle had been shot some and well-maintained. I am looking for some help with figuring out what had been done to this rifle and ballpark a value. My thought is that the original stock was modified to have the pistol grip and the wooden forend and band were cut down and removed. I am not sure if the barrel had been cut down, it measures right around 25". Any help with this rifle is much appreciated.

I took some pictures but let me know if you need others. Thanks

Yes, the stock has been modified as you suggest, and the barrel HAS been cut, from the original 30". Rather decent workmanship overall - have seen MUCH worse. No collector value left of course, but a fun shooter with a very smooth action, and capable of taking any game on the North American continent. FWIW, the barrel band is on backwards - the part is actually tapered, and the U (for "up") goes on the right side.

interesting, you have an 1892 handguard.
    "A man with a tractor and a chain saw has no excuses, nor does he need any"
    Me. "Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" Emerson "Consistency is the darling of those that stack wood or cast bullets" Me.

4. Default

Dick, thank you for the information, I appreciate it. Once I received the rifle and began doing research, I realized it didn't quite resemble other carbines I had seen and the pistol grip started to stand out. It looks like it was certainly modified for sporting purposes and the wood grain is really nice on this example. I will see how easy it is to reverse the orientation of the barrel band. It appears to be held on by just the screw.

I was given two old boxes of hunting ammo with it so I might as well take it out and see how things go.

Thanks again.

Good catch, Mark - I blew right past that. Interesting as to how that came about since it should not have been on the rifle to begin with.

That is one of the best matched pistol grips I have ever seen; often they stand out like a sore thumb. Seems a bit too far to the rear to really be effective, but still excellent workmanship.

6. Default

I thought the same thing on the pistol grip. I took several pictures to get one to show the work someone put into it. The wood grain is even really close to matching. I had to roll it around in good light to find the lines.

Hearing about the handguard, I wonder if the original had been damaged and the smith had one available. Will never know.

I really like the workmanship on the front sight. Very well done. Love the 92 handguard. Definitely a well done sporter and worth keeping. Cool serial number too. That's the old partsman coming out again.
    Last edited by sdkrag; 03-09-2018 at 05:58.

Is there a cartouche on the left side of the stock?

How bout photos of the bolt open and closed, inside of the magazine? I would like a rifle like this.

Enjoy.

Mark
    "A man with a tractor and a chain saw has no excuses, nor does he need any"
    Me. "Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" Emerson "Consistency is the darling of those that stack wood or cast bullets" Me.

Kragger,

That is one of the nicest Krag sporters I've seen. the work is high quality throughout and it would hunt deer, elk or black bear any season from now the rest of your grandchildren's lives. How does it shoot? A lot of military rifles, Krags included need a taller front sight to zero at 100 yards. Only other thing, the Krag doesn't need much more than 20" of barrel to burn all its powder. It's a minor issue unless you are dragging the rifle over rough country, brush and deadfalls.

Good luck! Let us know if you need brass or bad advice.

jn

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Daiute View Post
    Is there a cartouche on the left side of the stock?

How bout photos of the bolt open and closed, inside of the magazine? I would like a rifle like this.

Enjoy.

Mark
    Mark,

There is no visible cartouche on the stock, I have looked it over thoroughly and on several occasions. I will try to get some of those photos and post back in a day or two.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jon_norstog View Post
    Kragger,

That is one of the nicest Krag sporters I've seen. the work is high quality throughout and it would hunt deer, elk or black bear any season from now the rest of your grandchildren's lives. How does it shoot? A lot of military rifles, Krags included need a taller front sight to zero at 100 yards. Only other thing, the Krag doesn't need much more than 20" of barrel to burn all its powder. It's a minor issue unless you are dragging the rifle over rough country, brush and deadfalls.

Good luck! Let us know if you need brass or bad advice.

jn
    Thanks Jon,

It is a real looker and quite the, nicely, modified Krag. I have not shot it yet, but hope to give it a go next time I hit the range. I wouldn't hunt with it, my eyes aren't good enough for the sights and I hunt from a stand here in MO. Thanks for the advice on the front sight. I will keep that in mind when I take it out.