Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

thank you
    "A man with a tractor and a chain saw has no excuses, nor does he need any"
    Me. "Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" Emerson "Consistency is the darling of those that stack wood or cast bullets" Me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kragrifle View Post
    Thanks for the photos. So the only difference in receiver markings on the first 300 1879 rifles and the later rifles is the serial number?
    Yes, the location of the serial numbers and the second does not have any of the sub inspectors mark of H.N. anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by jon_norstog View Post
    Yo scout, thanks for putting this up. My own preference is for the Lee. If you don't have it yet, buy Dick Hosmer's book, Vol. 2, on "different" 45-70 U.S. military rifles.

jn
    I have both of his books and the second volume I got directly from him and is signed. At some point probably in the black powder section I'll either post a link to another forum where I posted photos of a presentation on breachloading BP rifles or I will just repost them here. It's a presentation I did for a Boy Scout group and unfortunately the photos aren't great but you will probably like it.

It has been pointed out to me by an unquestioned Hotchkiss authority that the first, possibly the entire first 500, Navy Hotchkiss rifles do NOT have the Navy inspector's initials, WMF or WWK. Any thoughts on that? I will have to make some sort of correction - I already see that there is an error in bolt handle lengths. Fortunately, with POD, such things are easily fixable.

5. Default

My first model Navy rifle, SN 2845 is marked WWK.

Nice collection!
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe, while Congress is in session." Mark Twain

Nice guns. Thanks for sharing.