Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default "Buy the gun, not the story"

Here is a perfect example of "Buy the gun, not the story"...this is wrong on some many accounts...

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/633684773
    "There's a race of men that don't fit in,
    A race that can't stay still;
    So they break the hearts of kith and kin,
    And they roam the world at will." - Robert Service

Pop didn't buy that rifle in 1944. Don't think anybody could ever buy a rifle directly from any 'Depot' either.
    Type 3 sights is from much later S/N's too. "8-44" isn't September it's August.
    Col. Earl McFarland(“SA/E.McF.”) was only there until 1943. Mind you, LCol. George A. Woody("SA G.A.W..") was there in 1944.
    Spelling and grammar count!

Love the Super FAKE GAW stamping. What a Turd. Rick B

The receiver is clearly marked as a 1964 LEAD rebuild. He said "The owner’s father, who lived in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, inspected this rifle at Letterkenny Army Depot (LEAD) and was able to purchase it. Feel free to Email any questions." I don't know the seller but he does have a good history. He may not know much about M1's and is going by what the owner has told him. As Rick said, the cartouche is a fake and that butt plate sure shows a lot more use than appears on the wood and rifle. I would agree that it seems unlikely anyone could buy a rifle from Letterkenny. These rifles were still U.S. Government property and being overhauled at Letterkenny on a Govt. contract.
    Last edited by 2111; 04-13-2017 at 06:01.

And that's a ridiculous amount of money to ask for 99% of the Garands out there, rebuilds(that I like) included.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

ww2eyes Guest

Yes but i also feel the story behind the gun is also important.

Quote Originally Posted by ww2eyes View Post
    There is the story and then there is the truth...I prefer the truth not the Grand Dad brought it home from WWII and the serial number's don't match the date.
    Sam

Quote Originally Posted by ww2eyes View Post
    The story, even if plausible, has been rendered completely irrelevant because of an ill-advised and sloppy attempt to restore the rifle to it's correct "as manufactured" configuration. True rebuild fanatics who would willingly pay $1,000+ for an unmessed with LEAD would not even consider this rifle.
    Last edited by TSimonetti; 04-04-2017 at 06:06.

9. Default

If you don't like that GAW stock, surely he'll make up a EMcF or GHS to order....

Quote Originally Posted by 1-12 INF (M) View Post
    If you don't like that GAW stock, surely he'll make up a EMcF or GHS to order....
    Now why didn't I think of that. Isn't there a guy in Georgia that can replicate most stamps?
    Sam