Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Italian Walnut

image.jpg

I didnt intend to high Jack this thread, but I wanted to show how attractive an Italian Walnut stock can be.

Fred - That is a beautiful model 1896 Krag with its Italian walnut replacement stock!

The OP's question asked, if the Italian walnut stocks, influenced the value of a Krag rifle?

IMHO - A nice original finish stock, whether Black walnut or Italian walnut, with few blemishes is more relevant to value.

The Italian wood is an interesting variation in the "Krag Story". The 'Dollar Value' of a U.S. Krag is likely to be based on the Whole Package: originality, overall condition, bore condition, attractiveness and eye appeal.

The Italian Krag stocks are some of the most attractive that I have seen, but, that is a very subjective thing.

Attached are photos of an Italian Model 1898 stock that has a nice 'Tiger Stripe'. It is in great condition, except, it has been cut-out for the mount of a "Cummings Sub-Target Gun Machine". The crudely 'notched '1901 hand-guard is black walnut.

(The altered Italian stock is a curiosity, I have kept).

IMG_3470.jpgIMG_3473.jpgIMG_3474.JPGIMG_3476.jpgofficialhandbook08publ_0084.jpg
    Last edited by butlersrangers; 04-04-2017 at 06:38.

Wow!!! Nice figured wood!
    Is it possible that your stock isn't Italian Walnut? What color is the wood inside, under the barrel and receiver?
    Last edited by Fred; 04-03-2017 at 10:54.

Fred - My pictured stock is definitely Italian walnut. The interior is quite light in color, so possibly some stain was applied when issued, to darken it up.

Photos: The Italian stock is shown next to an American walnut one for contrast. Also shown, is an Italian stock that was cut-down and refinished. A sketch of the Sub-Target Gun Machine fixture attached to a Krag.

STGM-alt1.JPGIMG_0433.JPGstrm-krg-mech-ed.jpg

Very interesting rifle you've got there! Great photos too.

Wow, what a spectacular rifle!
    Vic

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    image.jpg

I didnt intend to high Jack this thread, but I wanted to show how attractive an Italian Walnut stock can be.
    A very nice stock too. Nice rifle...
    Regards, Jim