1. Default Mark X rifle question

I have a MARK X rifle imported by interarms...I bought it from a friend with a Weaver T6 scope on it for $400. It is a rebarrel job (not a factory barrel) chambered in 243 win. The rifle has a very long barrel on it now of med heavy. someones varmint gun, I'd guess.. w/ a heavy wood stock too.. but it is a very nice rifle and I like it's high gloss blued finish.. The trigger is tuned to a very nice pull weight...Some one did a really nice job on it.. but I don't want nor care for or need a 243 win, so I'm thinking about having it re-barreled again maybe to one of three cal 8x57 Mauser or 8mm06.. or 338 Federal but I'm not sure if it has a long enough action for 06 case but a 8X57 fits just fine in the magazine.. What are your opinions on this idea.. pro/con. I'm kinda leaning toward the 8mm right now.... B2B

Personally I'd go with a .308 or a 7x57 over the 8x57, but that's just me. The biggest con I see with the 8x57 is that the choice of bullets available in .323/8mm is somewhat limited compared to .308 or .284/7mm. I think you should be able to get a 30-06 length cartridge to work as well given that the Mark X -- as well as the recent Remington 798 -- was sold in .270, 30-06, 7mm Mag, etc.

That said, the first rifle I ever bought was a sporter K98 with well worn rifling that I later rebarreled with a Douglas in 8x57. The gun sat unused in a corner for a number of years because it never shot to my expectations and the loads I tried were no better than 3MOA. A couple years ago I picked up some Nosler 180gr BTs on a fluke and found that seating them over Varget shot under 1.5MOA...

Default Action Length

Your action is most likely a standard Mauser 98 length, and as such can be adapted to a .30-06 length cartridge. Any competent gunsmith can tell you what, if any, work would need to be done.

As for the caliber of the "new" gun, it depends entirely on what you want to do with it. For general hunting at medium ranges, the .338 Federal should be great.

I would avoid the 8x57 only because, in my opinion, the bullet selection is not as broad as in .308 or 7mm.

I have two guns built on these post war FN actions, and they do well. Mine are in 7x57 and .257 Roberts with the Ackley improved chamber.

4. Default

Thanks guys for your input.. I don't need another 308 rifle, As I have a bunch already ..ruger M-77 FR-8 (2)rem-700 VS HB Enfield ishapor 308 etc.. and others as well.. I have a 8mm Hakeem also but no bolt guns.. in 8mm not even a K-98, I should have a few of them by now, but just never ran into one I couldn't live without...so having (getting) a bolt gun in 8mm was my thinking, I already have that cartridge..in inventory...and I load for it.. bolt gun is easier on my brass cases.. I don't have a need for another hunting rifle, I'm mostly a target shooter, but I like the 338 federal idea it would fill a hole I have between the 308 and the magnums.. I bought the Mark X mostly for the scope that was on it, and to help a friend out with some $$ he needed at the time.. I'll have to think about the 7mm also.. B2B