Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default What is this WWII German 9MM ammunition?

I have been searching the net for information on this box of ammunition. The headstamp is dnh and a WWII date, I think 43 or 44. 9MM.JPG

I can't find anything definitive about what exactly this ammunition is or what it is worth.

You can't tell in this picture but the box is a pale blue.

Thanks for any info.

I have no idea either. Except it is probably corrosive. A Luger collector may be interested in it for display with their collection.

dnh is the code for the maker, there are lists on the internet, Google for them. What else is there to know?, its pistol and sub-machine gun ammo! Probably steel case?
    You can never go home again.

'dnh' is Rheinisch-Westfälische Sprengstoff A.-G., (Previously Gustav Genschow & Co. ) Werk Durlach, Germany. The 'Gustav Genschow & Co." is the company name of GECO ammo. Who made ammo for and with RWS long before W.W. II. RWS became a part of the Dynamit Nobel in 1931.
    Durlach is a suburb of Karlsruhe near the French-German border.
    There was a guy on gunauction.com in 2013 who couldn't sell 9 rounds of assorted German stamped 9mm ammo for a buck. Might be different for a whole unopened box though. Trick, as usual, is finding somebody who wants it.
    Spelling and grammar count!

5. Default

I should have added that I knew this ammunition was made by RWS. My question is more focused on the packaging and the end user(s) of ammunition packaged like this.

'German military' is not close enough? Doubt any one would know much more.

The only question is,Is it sub-machine gun hi pressure ??

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    'German military' is not close enough? Doubt any one would know much more.
    Dave, the speculation in the only two links I've found so far that illustrate this ammunition seem to indicate that the German military were not the intended users.

https://forum.cartridgecollectors.or...ormation/16729

http://landofborchardt.com/ammo.html

If you scroll down to German Commercial Luger Ammunition and select Cal 9MM Gansmantel-Geschoss it also has a picture and a similar description.

It's referred to "as packaged is exceptionally rare" but not really quantified. No value either.

My German is a whole lot rusty but loosely translated it is for the self loading pistol which could be the P-08/P38. As you know Parabellum is Latin for war. I can't see why it is not for the German Armed Forces, perhaps the Luftwaffe as a color {blue} coded box. As to worth whatever the buyer is willing to pay. Put a price tag of $100.00, you can always come down.
    Sam

Yes, it says pistol right on the box. I think 100 is way too hi, but give it a try. It may be rare. Collecting ammo is only a side line for me (when its cheap). I never go into researching it too deeply. I am sure they were not making ammo for commercial sales in 1943, but maybe police?
    Last edited by dave; 03-28-2017 at 04:20.