Default 4fg powder in 31 cal. 1863 Remington

I tried using 4fg black powder in my 31 Rem and got a lot more oooomph and penetration with it. That ball almost penetrated a 2x4 at about 6 feet. 3fg would barely bury the ball in the wood. Anybody else have any experience with this?
    Read, think, UNDERSTAND, comment

no. but I've used it in 32 s&w for an old break top revolver. it seemed to have more felt recoil, and the cases didn't drop right out so I never used it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolt View Post
    I tried using 4fg black powder in my 31 Rem and got a lot more oooomph and penetration with it. That ball almost penetrated a 2x4 at about 6 feet. 3fg would barely bury the ball in the wood. Anybody else have any experience with this?
    You are not using FFFFg for its intended usage.

Fg (or 1Fg): Muskets, Shotgun, Large caliber Rifle, Cartridge and Cannon

1-1/2 Fg: Match-grade Cartridge

FFg (or 2Fg): Muskets, Shotgun, Rifles 50 caliber and up, Cartridge, and large bore Pistols

FFFg (or 3Fg): Rifles 50 caliber and smaller, Pistols and Revolvers

FFFFg (or 4Fg): Priming powder for flintlocks

Quote Originally Posted by Dolt View Post
    Dolt, in reply to your question, no. I never used 4f in a small bore mostly because as GWP said, we've been taught 4f is considered pan powder. Given that, 4f at one time was used in small bore cartridges like .22's and I'm told up to .32 rimfire. According to Free, he had problems with the cases. Going by the lack of responses I gather not very many of us have gone the 4f route.

I'm assuming you have a steel framed .31 repro like the Pietta. Not the brass or nickeled brass version. Given the small charge and short barrel I don't believe it's overly dangerous but need to ask why?
    If you just experimented a little then you see the difference. Is that all it was or do you have other thoughts about regular use?
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

Quote Originally Posted by JB White View Post
    Dolt, in reply to your question, no. I never used 4f in a small bore mostly because as GWP said, we've been taught 4f is considered pan powder. Given that, 4f at one time was used in small bore cartridges like .22's and I'm told up to .32 rimfire. According to Free, he had problems with the cases. Going by the lack of responses I gather not very many of us have gone the 4f route.

I'm assuming you have a steel framed .31 repro like the Pietta. Not the brass or nickeled brass version. Given the small charge and short barrel I don't believe it's overly dangerous but need to ask why?
    If you just experimented a little then you see the difference. Is that all it was or do you have other thoughts about regular use?
    Yes, steel frame on the Remington. I was very disappointed with the lack of penetration with 3fg. When I went to 4fg it doubled the penetration. I think, and from what I have read else where online, 4f in very small calibers is safe. I plan to do some chronographing when the weather warms up and will let you guys know the results.
    Read, think, UNDERSTAND, comment