Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Metallurgy

1. Default Metallurgy

The 1917 receiver is a nickel steel. Anyone know the assay? What about the bolt and magazine follower? I have a customized Eddystone which is impressive but the follower pops up at the front and before welding the rails I want to widen the follower.

Barretcreek:

Haven't a clue, but before you go messing with the follower, make sure you got the right follower. I've *heard* that sometimes the wrong part was used. If you can get a hold of a as issued M1917, try compairing the followers.

RHB

Make sure you don't have a Pattern 14 follower inserted by Bubba in a M1917. If you need pictures of the difference I will take photos of my P14 follower and M1917 follower.

4. Default

I compared my box stock Eddystone to this one but if you don't mind please post a photo of a P14 follower.

Default The 1917 receivers...

and bolts were made of 3 1/2% nickel steel. I believe more info about the specific alloy is available in 'Hatcher's Notebook'.

mhb - MIke
    Sancho! My armor!

I'll get them out and post pictures tomorrow for you.

Barrett Creek let me know if you need me to pull the rifles down for better pics but I think this highlights the differences I've noticed from looking at assembled guns.

P14 follower has much more metal removed from left side when looking from back to front. The right side of the rib is rounded at the front and slopes toward the ramp. On the M1917 the right side of the rib is straight and does not slope toward ramp. The rib of the P14 is rounded off at back to let rim of 303 run past it. M1917 is squared off.

IMG_1847.jpg

Hopefully you can see the difference at the rear of the follower.
    Last edited by p246; 03-23-2017 at 06:43.