Default Neck turning for fun.

Great hobby. Got some new toys for the bolts and thought I might do a little experimenting " again " for the M-14 types.
    Done as much as I can with loads, bullets, annealing, and case prep.
    Now I am working on a batch of DAG brass to see what I can do about getting neck tension down a little better.
    Turning only takes a couple of seconds, so why not. As they say , proof is in the pudding. Taking DAG neck thickness from about .015 to about .013. Gosh this retirement thing is a blast.

Semper Fi
    Art

Are you using a headspace gauge to set your sizing dies?
    Sam

Quote Originally Posted by S.A. Boggs View Post
    Are you using a headspace gauge to set your sizing dies?
    Sam
    Well, sort of. I do use a Wilson guage as a go/no go for sized cases. I use headspace guages during the barelling and chamber reaming operation, as a reference that is the easiest of the measurements to come up with. I also use an R.C.B.S. precision mike so I can maintain .002 to .004 under chamber headspace. I use a comparator in conjunction with an o.a.l. guage when it comes to bullet seating.
    Last edited by nf1e; 03-25-2017 at 02:30.

nfle, just remember that the increase in the brass thickness of the neck came from the body of the case. As does the increaing length of the case causing the need for trimming to length. Also when inserting the primer becomes easy, that case is "shot" and is not safe to use. I believe we often forget to remember this.
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.
    Author unkown.

"Gosh, this retirement thing is really great"
    I have found retirement to be more work than my old job. What with the 'Boss' wanting things done all the time Then complaining I 'there' too much. 8-/

Quote Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
    "Gosh, this retirement thing is really great"
    I have found retirement to be more work than my old job. What with the 'Boss' wanting things done all the time Then complaining I 'there' too much. 8-/
    Rgr on that.