Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default M1917 mag follower

why is the left side middle rib cut the way it is?

http://www.libertytreecollectors.com...ldFollower.JPG
    Last edited by milboltnut; 03-18-2017 at 07:39.
    For whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.

2. Default

That is so the magazine follower depressor can slipped in for doing the manual of arms (inspection arms). The bolt will not close without the magazine follower depressor.

--fjruple

edit-- Added "without" The brain was not working right when I posted the response.
    Last edited by fjruple; 03-20-2017 at 05:39.

you mean allow the bolt to be closed without depressing the follower.. looking for a demonstration of the depressor...
    Last edited by milboltnut; 03-19-2017 at 12:19.
    For whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.

Quote Originally Posted by fjruple View Post
    That is so the magazine follower depressor can slipped in for doing the manual of arms (inspection arms). The bolt will not close with the magazine follower depressor.

--fjruple
    Huh? . . . . .

The purpose of the depressor is to ALLOW the bolt to close during the "manual"!

ooops I had to read it again. It should allow the bolt to be closed without depressing the follower.

Later on, "Bubba" overcame this problem by filing down the rear of the follower from a 90% angle to a more rounded design that permitted the bolt to push the follower down as the bolt was pushed forward.

Same with the weak 'ejector spring'. "Bubba" came up with a way to replace the weak ejector with a small piece of spring (like that you'd find on a ballpoint pen).
    Last edited by Dan Shapiro; 03-19-2017 at 02:12.
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe, while Congress is in session." Mark Twain

I have the ejector with the spring.... eventually those ejectors are not going to be pleantiful.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Shapiro View Post
    Later on, "Bubba" overcame this problem by filing down the rear of the follower from a 90% angle to a more rounded design that permitted the bolt to push the follower down as the bolt was pushed forward.

Same with the weak 'ejector spring'. "Bubba" came up with a way to replace the weak ejector with a small piece of spring (like that you'd find on a ballpoint pen).
    It least "Bubba" got the weak ejector spring fix right. The small spring ejector fix was what Remington used on their commerical Model 30 series rifles and carbines.

--fjruple

Was the weak ejector spring a left over from the pattern 14 design. I have not pulled my P14 bolt down to see if it's the same spring. Obviously the extractor is different, wonder if they kept the same spring from the rim design.

Same weakness prone flat spring for the ejector. I think the coil spring retrofit was a common fix as I've seen them used in quite a good number of 'veterans rifles'.
    As far as the follower rib is concerned, I've always been under the impression the rib design was to control left/right loading and feeding.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**