Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Hosmer View Post
    That's disturbingly cheap, unless it had issues. The martial Hotchkisses are not common, at all.
    .45-70 caliber, 24" barrel, S/N 12706. Barrel U.S. marked with a VP over an eagle head. Winchester markings, address and patent dates on the receiver, along with HN inspector markings on the receiver, bolt arm and bolt. Walnut stock with saddle ring and sling swivels.

Condition:

Much of the original blue finish remains on most parts, fading to a plum in small areas. The bore and action are excellent. There is an old repair at the wrist of the stock on the left side, and a crack extending from the nose cap to the first sling swivel.
    Keeping my fingers crossed that the price pattern for the last couple of weeks continues. If so I'll get a gun.

I think just the lack of knowledge (and yes, I have to say it!) and interest contributed to the relatively low price on that rifle. Good luck!
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Rick the Librarian View Post
    I think just the lack of knowledge (and yes, I have to say it!) and interest contributed to the relatively low price on that rifle. Good luck!
    I hope that is all it is. You raise a good point - having very few of something can cut both ways; hard to generate a lot of interest in something that doesn't circulate. There are trapdoors under every bush, and anyone who wants one can have one, in their choice of condition, often model, within days - even hours - if they so desire. Even the commercial Hotchkiss arms, made entirely by Winchester, are few and far between, but, it is an important arm, being among the very first (if not the first) US-designed/produced bolt-action high-power rifles made in any real quantity, just nosing out the Remington-Lee.

The two Navy rifles are the most common, followed by the carbines, while the Army rifle (the first version to be produced) is basically unobtainable today. Number 101, which I have owned for many years, is one of the two fully-assembed "sample" rifles put together at Winchester and shipped to SA with 498 sets of parts (sole shipment of that model) for final assembly at the Armory. The other, #162, is in the SA museum.
    Last edited by Dick Hosmer; 03-26-2017 at 08:01.

I find the late 1800's fascinating, the transition from the venerable Trapdoor to the 'newfangled' bolt action, magazine rifle and smokeless powder.
    With that in mind, any help would be appreciated. There are two Remington-lee's on Gunbroker right now. Which is most representative of what the
    troops would have been using?

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/631713513

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/630925384
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe, while Congress is in session." Mark Twain

5. Default

I hope that is all it is. You raise a good point - having very few of something can cut both ways; hard to generate a lot of interest in something that doesn't circulate.
    Not main-line guns. There are multiple main-lines and it's not really on any of them.
    "One of each." M1 rifle and carbine. M-1903 and M-1917. Krag. Even carbine and a rifle. Trapdoor, rifle and carbine. The Whitman Sampler of U.S. Military. Hotchkiss won't be in the line.
    "I like these." M-1911s. Collect mainly them. "Lee Military." Collect mainly them. "Mauser Military." People do that. A Hotchkiss collection would be rather small.
    "Obscure guns the U.S. Military tried but never adopted." I've got to believe that's a small group indeed. If any.
    "Nothing but U.S. Military Carbines." Somebody with a house with 6' ceilings perhaps. Very short safe.

Hotchkiss, like the Remington .30 Military, isn't in the main line. Thus only those having worked their way to over 100+ guns are going to be interested. Much reduced crowd.

Even the commercial Hotchkiss arms, made entirely by Winchester, are few and far between, but, it is an important arm, being among the very first (if not the first) US-designed/produced bolt-action high-power rifles made in any real quantity, just nosing out the Remington-Lee.
    "Magazine bolt action." Else Ward-Burton enters the fray.

I don't know that the Hotchkiss qualifies as "U.S. Designed" though. He had moved to France. The rifle was sketched out in the margin of a French newspaper. Designed for the European arms market. So designed by "an American" but really a French design. He never did take up French citizenship though so maybe that qualifies.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick the Librarian View Post
    Noooo! You're going to jinx me. The gun I'm after is main-line!

Crosses toes just in case. Meh, if I steal it I steal it. If not I won't sweat it.

Dan,

I would choose the second one, since it retains the original rear sight - that version of the M1879 "buckhorn" model has a taller base (requiring special longer screws) and is marked "R-L" on the left side of the base. The M1884 Buffington sight is questionable on a Rem-Lee; I cannot say that none were officially retrofitted during service, since hole spacing is identical, but it cannot be "as-made".

The arms appear to be in fairly similar condition, but the less-expensive (as of now) and more original one gets that nod as well. Not stated by either seller is that their cleaning rod is missing. That should not be a huge problem, since rods with the proper head (at least) for appearance sake are common, even if you had to search a bit to find THE exact rod of proper length, which would then screw in.
    Last edited by Dick Hosmer; 03-26-2017 at 08:45.

Joe, you are right (as almost always). I considered mentioning "magazine" but figured that "real quantity" (50 some odd thousand, IIRC - and I don't always - vs. 1300) covered that base. Otherwise, I agree.
    Last edited by Dick Hosmer; 03-26-2017 at 08:49.

8. Default

Joe, you are right (as almost always). I considered mentioning "magazine" but figured that "real quantity" (50 some odd thousand, IIRC - and I don't always - vs. 1300) covered that base. Otherwise, I agree.
    No, it was interesting. Made me poke at them a bit. The Chinese of all people. Another piece to a very weird puzzle.

Oliver Winchester was a very interesting person. More interesting by the year. When looking at the second half of the 19th century, regards guns, Oliver Winchester and Samuel Norris are the two interesting ones. Cut from the same cloth as Jay Gould.

Thanks Dick!
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe, while Congress is in session." Mark Twain

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by 5MadFarmers View Post
    Noooo! You're going to jinx me. The gun I'm after is main-line!

Crosses toes just in case. Meh, if I steal it I steal it. If not I won't sweat it.

Lays down on carpet and pounds fists. Waaaaah.

Thanks Rick. Ya jinxed me!

Either that or my low-ball bid was simply too low-ball but let's ignore that.

serial #349141, 30-40 Krag, 22" barrel with a very good bore that shows scattered light pitting.
    Third block.

The metal surfaces have been cleaned to an armory bright type finish with scattered areas turning a gray patina and some scattered oxidation staining.
    Either that or the blueing wore off and it didn't get an arsenal redo.

The walnut stock rates near very good with an older oil finish, two 1 1/2" cracks at front of handguard, an 1 1/2" crack at front right of stock, a thin 1/3" crack at both the upper tang and in front of buttplate, a couple scattered minor abrasions, scattered dings, scratches and handling marks.
    Stock matches metal then.

The stock has a strong 1901 dated inspector's cartouche,
    Third block. Sounds unsanded.

a strong circle "P" firing proof, "R. RUSHFORD" is carved into the right side of butt, the letters "R.R." on the underside and "SQ6-2" also on the underside.
    Whatever.

The carbine is properly marked "1899", it has the correct 1901 style carbine sight but the handguard lacks the hump seen on 1899 handguards
    Which is what the 3rd block was as made. That coupled with that strong cartouche is interesting. Very interesting.

and the cocking piece is different than those commonly seen on 1899 carbines.
    Headless would be wrong. That's called muddy the waters with nonsense. Not that it's a bad thing if it discourages other bidders....

This carbine includes an oiler, a three-piece cleaning rod and a note which states that the carbine was purchased from the NRA in 1932.
    I have a note that I bought my wife from her dad for $50 but she has challenged the veracity of the deed. Unsuccessfully I might add.

A good candidate for restoration. (208077-2) {C&R}
    Noooo! That might be one of the very few that's as made!

Waaaaaaah.

Thanks Rick! Walks away after blaming Rick instead of his own stupidly low bid.

Maybe I shouldn't have been quite so frugal today.
    Last edited by 5MadFarmers; 03-26-2017 at 01:15.