Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default ...and as long as we're discussing W/L rifles ...

...Here's a "stock" question for you: I was perusing Eugene M's book on the rifle and he mentioned that Second Contract Winchester/Lees had grasping groove stocks. Mine is 19099 but has a "smooth" stock. Maybe a replacement at some time?

TIA

IMG_3598 (1024x342).jpg
    Last edited by Rick the Librarian; 03-18-2017 at 02:30.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

2. Default

No. Original stocks on both contracts were sans grasping grooves. The GG stocks all appear to be on rebuilt/repaired rifles. There are actually two lengths of grooves. While I have seen several of the shorter groove stocks, the only long groove stock I have seen is on a butchered stick I picked up years ago.

I did a Lee Navy display several years ago at Kansas City. Myszkowski sold his collection after writing the book and as I recall now lives in Florida. I recall we discussed this stock topic (by email or phone) and he now agrees that the GG stocks are replacements in all likelihood as they are rarely seen.

BTW, I would love to find a long groove Lee Navy if ever anyone has one for sale!

I appreciate your feedback on that. I got the idea from Eugene's book that they were used on later production models. Are you sure he is still alive?
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

4. Default

No. However, now that you mentioned it I just sent him an email. It has been several years since I last contacted him and I am now even more aware as we lose our seasoned experts that time is fleeting!

I think I saw an obituary (I did a goggle search) but if it was someone else and you do hear back, let me know. Pretty uncommon name to say the least!
    --C.S. Lewis

I had a sporter (factory lettered) at one time which had the military butt as opposed to the shotgun style. It had grasping grooves. Always wondered which configuration was the scarcer.

Sadly, it (and my 1899 Remington-Lee sporter in .236) were sold when I had the chance to acquire my Sharps-sighted Long Range Rifle 162036, but, you cannot keep everything.

Gene said that the barrel marking (".236") ahead of the stock tip on the R-L was "uncommon", since most were marked "6mm". Always wondered if it was chambered for the .236 Remington, a slightly fatter and shorter cartridge than the Navy rounds, but never got around to making a chamber cast.

Seem to remember seeing an obit for Gene, also.

Since we are discussing off-beat arms of the era, anyone up for Winchester Hotchkisses?

Every type in your collection or from that era and discussed within your excellent book is of utmost importance and interest Dick. Yes, I'm up for it!

9. Default

Hotchkiss, anyone? Fire away!

Sure, why not??
    --C.S. Lewis