Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

I had only one problem with the sling......the "C" clip wire that attaches to the forward sling swivel. It's too open. Unless the sling is kept tight, it had a tendency to slip off the swivel. So I put the "C" clip in a vise and compressed the clip to where it just snapped over the swivel....no more problems.
    Last edited by Dan Shapiro; 03-17-2017 at 08:11.
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe, while Congress is in session." Mark Twain

I'll keep that in mind - thanks! (I went ahead and ordered one).
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Rick the Librarian View Post
    I'll keep that in mind - thanks! (I went ahead and ordered one).
    Mind if I hijack your thread and play "Seven Degrees of Separation" for a moment? You have an interest in the Philippines.

Nathan Twining was from a little place named Boscobel. Not real big. There is a prison there but not much else. What they do have is a little A&W restaurant caught in a time-warp. Phones in the booths to call in your order. Nice little place. Reasonably priced.

In the same general area is another little place named Cuba City. Smaller than Boscobel. One street town Cuba City is. Nice little cafe, very inexpensive, and not much else. There is a bar there. The bar was owned and operated by a Marine for the longest time. Said Marine was on Guam when the war ended. Of the many guns I kick myself for not buying was the Arisaka he brought home. It was still in the box he made for it on Guam. I did end up with his uniform. In the pocket was a memorial service thing. One of those little pieces of paper they had at the memorial service for people.

The memorial service was held after the war ended and everybody had made it home. The Marine was from Boscobel. As was his buddy. The buddy had gone into the army and then into airborne. One of the soldiers killed in that big explosion the Japanese set off on Corregidor when it was being retaken. That little memorial service paper had been in that pocket since just after the war.

====

Quote Originally Posted by Kragrifle View Post
    Lee bayonets variations

Triangle T-most common
    Winchester- probably second
    Remington
    Triangle W
    Unmarked-least common

Same bayonet with different barrel diameter

Winchester 1895 musket
    Blake-very rare

Interesting. I guess if I was wise I'd go look but instead I'm going to just wonder. Triangle T being Twining no doubt. Does that make triangle W Williams? I wonder how many people guess "Winchester" for that but it follows the pattern of the T. George W. Williams. Like Twining he was a Lieutenant Commander about that time assigned to Navy Ordnance.

I guess I could look if it interests me. I'd guess at Williams without any looking.

Eugene Myszkowski, "The Winchester - Lee Rifle", attributes "triangle with W enclosed" to U. S. Navy Inspector Lt. William B. Whitttelsey.

Anthony C. Daum & Charles W. Pate, "U.S. Military Arms Inspector Marks", have W.B.W. (Whittelsey) inspecting rifles purchased by the Navy from Winchester, in April, 1898, to replace rifles destroyed in the N.Y. Navy Yard fire.

VERY interesting "hijack". I'm very familiar with that explosion on Corregidor. I find it interesting how many "coincidences" one can run into, also. Yesterday, I received a book in the mail that I had ordered online. It was a "yearbook" of the Washington National Guard in 1939, the year before they were Federalized. Contained in the book was a number of 8x10" photographs taken by the unit's 116th Observation Squadron in the 1930s. One was of the airfield they were based, just outside of Spokane WA (where I grew up) at Felts Field. I spent a lot of time there as a Civil Air Patrol cadet and with my school's aviation club. The other picture was of the squadron's aircraft flying over an uncompleted Grand Coulee Dam, where I taught from 1976-85. The third was of Upper Priest Lake, where I and my family spent several summers. All from a book that the pictures could have easily fallen out or been taken.

If I'm not mistaken, the "naval ordnance officer" Twining was the father of "Marine" Twining, who served on Guadalcanal and other Pacific islands and retired as a colonel or B/G and the other son was "Air Force Twining" who made it well into the general ranks of the Air Force.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by butlersrangers View Post
    Eugene Myszkowski, "The Winchester - Lee Rifle", attributes "triangle with W enclosed" to U. S. Navy Inspector Lt. William B. Whitttelsey.

Anthony C. Daum & Charles W. Pate, "U.S. Military Arms Inspector Marks", have W.B.W. (Whittelsey) inspecting rifles purchased by the Navy from Winchester, in April, 1898, to replace rifles destroyed in the N.Y. Navy Yard fire.
    Yes, I should have looked into my copy!
    --C.S. Lewis

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by butlersrangers View Post

Makes sense. Navy Register has Whittlesey on inspection duty in Bridgeport. Not far. Also in the Ordnance Bureau.

I have Gene's books. Good books. Wasn't able to poke at them this morning.

8. Default

VERY interesting "hijack". I'm very familiar with that explosion on Corregidor.
    Ain't that something.
    "BOSCOBEL - Services for Pfc. Stephen Ferrel, Boscobel, were held this morning in Immaculate Conception Catholic church" (The Wisconsin State Joural, Madison, WI, Monday, Oct. 18, 1948, p. 3, Col 3-4)

Service was in 1948. That's him.

"A paratrooper, he died Feb. 16, 1945, of wounds received in action in the assault on Corregidor"

Yup. That's definitely him.

I find it interesting how many "coincidences" one can run into
    Life is a strange string of predictable coincidences. Bought a pair of trousers off of eBay once to go with my uncle's Ike. Trousers were in Virginia. Received them and noticed the name and service number inside. Knew the guy. Classmate of my uncle.

Went to an auction. Deceased was a TBF pilot. One book had flight manuals - his. In another box were some binders. Nothing inside. Except the person who owned them doodled inside them. Cover had a high school so school binders. Inside, those doodles, were names and addresses. Her two brothers were away in the military. One was the TBF pilot. Walked over to the gun table a bit later. Old guy was watching them. "Do you know anything about the history of these guns?" I asked them. "Yes, they were my brothers." "So you're the ParaMarine then?" "How did you know that?" With time travel I could write him as he moved from station to station.

If I'm not mistaken, the "naval ordnance officer" Twining was the father of "Marine" Twining, who served on Guadalcanal and other Pacific islands and retired as a colonel or B/G and the other son was "Air Force Twining" who made it well into the general ranks of the Air Force.
    Navy Twining was the uncle of the USAF and USMC Twinings. They were from Monroe. Nice Swiss Colony cheese outlet there.

Ok, every place I remember by a food reference. I go to auctions. Wife's price in going is she gets lunch.

12th Commandant of the USMC, George Barnett, was also from Boscobel. Strange they produced so many given the population is 3K more or less.

I'll give you a strange coincidence. That prison in Boscobel. Designed and built as a supermax. One day, one specific day, I was the most feared man in that prison.
    Last edited by 5MadFarmers; 03-17-2017 at 12:07.

Speaking of coincidences:

Met my future wife while working my way through college. After things got serious, I met her parents. Later mentioned to my folks that her Dad was also a former Marine, and mentioned his name. My Dad goes "WHO?" I repeat the name and he says 'Well I'll be a SOB!.....He was my platoon Sgt. at Camp Pendleton in 1949. He kicked me in the ass one day, said I was moving too slow while setting up the 81mm mortar!"

Small world.
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe, while Congress is in session." Mark Twain

10. Default

Apologies Rick, we've seemed to thoroughly hijacked your topic with small world stories.

Growing up there were four families in my neighborhood with kids about my age. Marty was my age while his sister Patty was a year older. When she was a Senior I was a Junior but had her in English class. At the end of the year we said our goodbyes not expecting to see each other again as she was moving out of town. A couple of years later I joined the line at my credit union in Florida. Tapped the shoulder of the girl standing in front of me. "Hello Patty." A couple of years later I was in Bayeux France. Local real estate place had a case on the side of their building with listings inside. Glass front. Very reflective glass. Saw a couple come up behind me and stand, slightly behind and one to each side, and start looking at the listings. Didn't even turn around. "Hello Patty." The Florida thing was odd. The France thing was beyond odd.

In high school I was at the county fair. Got off a ride and saw the girl standing there. "Hello Kathy." A couple of years later I was at Disneyworld. Saw this girl get off of a ride. "Hello Kathy." A few years later I was in a department store in Champaign Illinois buying a microwave oven. Saw this girl coming towards me. "Hello Kathy." Three decades later I was in Las Vegas. Had tickets to a show. Sat down and looked at the girl in the next seat. "Hello Kathy." Well, I guess that's not really a small world story. She is my wife after all. That Patty thing though - that was weird.