Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Default A further "pointed" look at my 1895 Winchester-Lee

A gentleman on Facebook had a Winchester/Lee bayonet to sell me for $285 and I bit. I thought you'd like to see some pictures. As you can see, it was manufactured by Remington. Gary Cunningham mentioned that a few W/L bayonets may had been made commercially. The only markings I could find on the bayonet was the manufacturer's name.

Comments?

IMG_4975 (1024x199).jpg
    IMG_4978 (1024x323).jpg
    IMG_4980 (1024x339).jpg
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

2. Default

Nice bayonet.

I have a hazy memory of poking at the bayonets when I bought my rifle. The one I bought came with the bayonet. Seemed to be three different bayonet variations from what that hazy recall is telling me.

Which is strange as I can understand two but not three.

Initial order was for 10,000 bayonets. They then went back for 200 more. Those could be marked differently as it was a different purchase but not long after the initial order. Presumably when they bought the second batch of rifles they bought bayonets. That could explain the three. Then again it might not. The 10,200 from the first go (plus the extras) were all delivered by January 1897. Order was placed in April of 1896.

Come with a scabbard? Those were made by Ames - not Remington. To a Winchester design.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick the Librarian View Post
    Gary Cunningham mentioned that a few W/L bayonets may had been made commercially.
    Gary generally knows what he's going on about. That said, the backdrop of that really has me curious. "Why?" Surplus market purchasers normally don't have bayonets made. Each gun had a bayonet. So what would be the point and by whom?

After the Krag book was out I ran into some interesting information on those Winchester-Lee rifles. Would have included it but the book was out.

No, just the bayonet.

Gary mentions the 10,000 you mentioned plus "another 5,000" in late 1898. The 3rd variation he said was unmarked except for a Navy proof stamp (which is occasionally found on the other two) - Nathan Twining (T in a triangle).

I can only guess on the commercial bayonets but the W/L was sold in small commercial quantities - I suppose for military schools, ceremonial guard units, etc.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Rick the Librarian View Post
    No, just the bayonet.

Gary mentions the 10,000 you mentioned plus "another 5,000" in late 1898. The 3rd variation he said was unmarked except for a Navy proof stamp (which is occasionally found on the other two) - Nathan Twining (T in a triangle).
    Makes sense. 10,000 rifles and 10,000 bayonets originally. The extra 200 bayonets were ordered a bit later as a reserve. The second rifle purchase was 5,000 so that many bayonets, thereabouts, follows the pattern.

I'd have to dig mine out but I remember it as being that triangle T thing.

I can only guess on the commercial bayonets but the W/L was sold in small commercial quantities - I suppose for military schools, ceremonial guard units, etc.
    That makes perfect sense. Hadn't considered that. It was a "military rifle." Making bayonets for them to sell them to interested military parties makes complete sense.

After bayonet it's the belt. Then suspenders and BGI cleaning cord. Not necessarily in that order.

Suspenders have, historically, been a problem for me. Belts find me but suspenders? not so much.

Wow ...nice! I thought I was going out of my way to find the bayonet! Would like a sling, but I suppose they a zillion dollars!!
    --C.S. Lewis

Good luck on finding a sling. Finally purchased a repro from S&S Firearms. Good price on the bayonet. Mine came with a sheath, so I ended up spending another $100. It's marked on the ricasso "Winchester Repeating Arms Co."

Attachment 40285
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe, while Congress is in session." Mark Twain

Trouble with the sling is I also need a lower butt swivel. Wonder if S&S has one of those?
    --C.S. Lewis

If you purchase the sling from S&S, it comes with a sling swivel.

http://www.ssfirearms.com/proddetail.asp?prod=LN34
    Last edited by Dan Shapiro; 03-16-2017 at 08:32.
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe, while Congress is in session." Mark Twain

9. Default

Lee bayonets variations

Triangle T-most common
    Winchester- probably second
    Remington
    Triangle W
    Unmarked-least common

Same bayonet with different barrel diameter

Winchester 1895 musket
    Blake-very rare

Dan, I looked at S&S but looked under "Winchester-Lee," which explains why I didn't find it. Hmmmm ... that sling looks interesting, especially with the swivel included.
    --C.S. Lewis