Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. Default

I was lucky enough to acquire a nice Lee sling recently. Mine has the taper while a friend's is straight. Saw a sling on a high finish WL that had a pebbled texture to the surface. Owner swore it was authentic. ?

2. Default

Missing the difference in the 95 and WL sling?

The later sling with the patent stamp on buckle was probably the one mfg in conjuction with the 95 Win lever rifle contract as generly the patent wasn't approved and stamped on the buckle until later. But of course that sling would be proper for the later WL rifles made at the same time the 95 lever rifles were and could be used for any WL rifle, Ray
    Last edited by rayg; 04-02-2017 at 06:24.

4. Default

Gee whiz. I'm away for a few months and everybody starts talking about Win Lees.

I am Shocked!

1."If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at least once in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things." - Rene Descartes
    2. "The Right to Buy Weapons is the Right to be Free" From The Weapon Shop by A. E. van Vogt

Too add to your shock, we were also discussing Remington-Lee's..................
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe, while Congress is in session." Mark Twain

6. Default

I'm double shocked!!
    1."If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at least once in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things." - Rene Descartes
    2. "The Right to Buy Weapons is the Right to be Free" From The Weapon Shop by A. E. van Vogt

Why we are talking about Lee rifles is because James Paris Lee was America's other John Browning. he was a genius. His designs were bold - and most of them had a fatal flaw as battle rifles. It ws the British who took his design, fixed a few things and used it in at least three wars as their main battle rifle. Some say the Lee-Enfield was the best battle rifle ever made. I'm not one of them, but I would put it in the top 5.

You can't talk about turn-of-the-last-century military firearms without talking about Lee's designs.

jn

Another innovator that barely gets recognition is John H. Hall. Would be great to be able to afford one of his 1819 flintlocks or even the later percussion model.

Attachment 40825
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe, while Congress is in session." Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Shapiro View Post
    Another innovator that barely gets recognition is John H. Hall. Would be great to be able to afford one of his 1819 flintlocks or even the later percussion model.

Attachment 40825
    Hey Dan
    I've got four of the Hall arms I can post photos of. Since you brought them up what forum would be the best place to start a thread with those photos?
    Scout

Scout:
    Probably "Black Powder".