Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default US marked Remington M31

I have a 12 ga Remington Model 31, sn 520xx, skeet grade with checkered beavertail forehand and grip, 26" IC solid rib bbl with middle bead, anodized aluminum trigger housing assembly, Bbl, receiver and trigger group all matching, bbl code OK (anchor) which I believe reflects July 1941 production. Receiver stamped RLB with ordnance bomb. No stock cartouche. The gun appears correct and is a solid 90-92%, displaying the commercial Remington matte blue of the period.

I'm disposing of the bulk of my US martial collection and am not a shotgun guy. I've read that the Army acquired every commercial 12 ga short barreled shotgun it could find post 12-7-41 for the purpose of training air crews in aerial gunnery. Apparently they included higher grade guns as well. Beyond that I have no idea this gun's scarcity or value

Can anyone venture an opinion of the gun's value based on the above information? All opinions gratefully accepted. Dokcop
    Last edited by dokcop; 03-18-2017 at 09:36.

2. Default

Need to post pics. Remington shotguns are NOT generally marked RLB, although other Rem guns are.
    In that range, I would expect to see a funky looking bomb on the receiver, looks like a flower pot.
    And Rem 31 finishes are NOT matte.
    But again, need to post pics

3. Default 31 remington

Quote Originally Posted by scosgt View Post
    Need to post pics. Remington shotguns are NOT generally marked RLB, although other Rem guns are.
    In that range, I would expect to see a funky looking bomb on the receiver, looks like a flower pot.
    And Rem 31 finishes are NOT matte.
    But again, need to post pics
    Thank you for your reply. I'm not of the computer generation and have had no luck posting pictures.

The receiver does exhibit the "funky looking bomb"- the ordnance bomb., below the Bowlin stamp. "Matte" may not be the right descriptor. I've owned numerous excellent original condition prewar Remington arms over the years; Models 17, 37, 24, several 241s, etc., all of which exhibited the same subdued lustrous blue that this shotgun retains.

Don't mean to be argumentative. I'm quite sure that the RLB cartouche is correct, and am looking for a value range. Apparently this gun is something of an aberration if a Remington enthusiast like yourself is not familiar with this configuration. I'll keep looking. Regards, Dokcop
    Last edited by dokcop; 03-17-2017 at 07:41.

I so happen to have a RLB marked 31. It has longbarrel, front checked grip, plain butt stock, full chocked.
    I don't see any other military markings.

https://i.imgur.com/AA7m7b7.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/e8tFS0n.jpg

Kent

Remington said mine was made in 1941.
    Also they said the Model 31 was made 1931 - 1949
    Kent
    Last edited by dogfoot; 03-17-2017 at 08:48. Reason: Additional dates

6. Default

scosgt: I've managed to take some pictures and import them to my computer. if you're interested in seeing them and want to give me your email, I think I can figure out how to send them via email to you. RLB stamp and ordnance bomb are essentially identical to Dogfoot's gun, other than appearing on the rear rather than the front of the left side of the receiver. My email is dokcop@gmail.com. Regards
    Last edited by dokcop; 03-18-2017 at 09:48.

7. Default

Dog foot: Thanks for the reply. Wonder how many more re out there?
    Last edited by dokcop; 03-18-2017 at 09:45.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by dokcop View Post
    scosgt: I've managed to take some pictures and import them to my computer. if you're interested in seeing them and want to give me your email, I think I can figure out how to send them via email to you. RLB stamp and ordnance bomb are essentially identical to Dogfoot's gun, other than appearing on the rear rather than the front of the left side of the receiver. My email is dokcop@gmail.com. Regards
    Yep, that is the right bomb for that Remington. The one I had also had the bomb on the rear of the receiver. Like I said, I have never seen one marked RLB. He was the inspector for the Rochester Ordinance District at that time. His mark should ONLY appear on guns bought direct from the factory, NOT on acquisition guns. Quite unusual, but not very many people would know enough to fake that funky looking bomb. I have only ever seen it on a Remington long barrel like yours and on a Stevens I think that was acquired very early, maybe pre-war.

9. Default

A speculation totally unbased in facts known to me: I've read that Bowlin worked for Remington onsite at the factory. Both Dogbone's gun and mine were made within a few months before 12-7-41. We were in a state of national emergency. The need for shotguns for aerial gunnery training must have been extreme at that point. Did the government simply clean Remington's warehouses out of all available unsold 12 gauges then in stock that fit their parameters? I can't imagine the AAF ordering or acquiring expensive skeet grade guns, especially with solid ribs, using routine procurement, bidding and acquisition methods. Bowling might logically then have been tasked with inspection and acceptance onsite to expedite delivery to the AAF....
    Last edited by dokcop; 03-18-2017 at 12:26.

10. Default

No, that is incorrect. Based on the Ithaca records, there were many acquisitions from the factories in 1939-40-41 and they did indeed buy higher grade guns.
    BUT, as Eric Archer said:
    "Do you REALLY think that RLB himself stamped the guns"?

The RLB mark indicates a factory acquisition. I don't think there can be an argument about that. Guns that were taken into arsenals got totally different markings, and never had an RLB, or WHD, or WB or FJA. Those marks were stamped at the respective factory, and NOT by the actual inspector.