Thread: Newbie

1. Default Newbie

Hi all glad to be here,and yes I've got a question I purchased a Mauser M48A
    A few days ago I'm in the process of getting all the cosmaline off at the moment
    The gun can only be described as new , would it be pertinent to treat the barrel to
    A break in period, any advice would be welcome
    Cheers Gary

The easiest way I have found to get all cosmo off is take the stock off and use a hot air dryer on the metal. On my M1 I had cycling problems with just a small bit of cosmo. Personally I would clean the bore with my Otis and a mixture of Hoppe's #9 and Kroil oil. Unless it is a match weapon I never worried about breaking in. Good quality non-corrosive ammo and slow fire. As you know, heat is the bane of any bore, so go slow. Also, appropriately lubricate with a good grease say plastilube. Just some thoughts.
    Sam
    P.S. Welcome aboard and excuse some of the insanity around here. I have worked hard @ being the most insane and after almost 18 years here I have succeeded!

shoot it
    For whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.

However never lube the bore or chamber with any grease, except for long term storage. Be sure its dry before shooting, be careful with corrosive ammo, like any other military rifle & ammo.
    You can never go home again.

5. Default

Hi all and thanks for the replys, feeling happy 1st time shooting it tomorrow
    I've bought some romanian milsurp hope it works ok
    Cheers Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshire shooter View Post
    Hi all glad to be here,and yes I've got a question I purchased a Mauser M48A
    A few days ago I'm in the process of getting all the cosmaline off at the moment
    The gun can only be described as new , would it be pertinent to treat the barrel to
    A break in period, any advice would be welcome
    Cheers Gary
    Those rifles are very well made, and the ones that are like new are getting hard to find. I wish the Yugo's had used the same dimensions as the 98 Mausers but they are what they are and that is a great bolt action rifle. They have not suffered the price inflation that has priced the 98's out of my price range, they are still somewhat affordable. I have two of them and one is just as you described as "like new."

I use really hot soapy water to get rid of the cosmoline, (don't use it on wood). Be sure to detail strip the bolt and clean it very thoroughly.
    Last edited by RED; 03-21-2017 at 10:04.

The M-48's are the Yugo final evolution of the FN M-24, which was adopted by Yugo in the 30's. After buying from FN for some years, FN set up a production line for the Yugo Government. The Yugo's then made at least two or three models of it. The FN 24 had a so-called medium length action (about 1/4", or less, shorter) and as far as I know FN was the only company that made that length. In 1930 they changed to the standard length as used by most other militaries (M-30). German made sporters had at least three length actions, I believe.
    The 98's Red refers to are K98k's, those were German issue in WW11 and like all Nazi stuff prices have gotten out of hand. While I own several, purchased years ago for cheap, I no longer will pay to-days prices either! Czech made VZ-24's are another very interesting model, many verities as far as users and markings. While they are going up in price, most are still under 500.
    A 'lil history for Newbie.
    Last edited by dave; 03-22-2017 at 10:01.
    You can never go home again.