Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Power Measure question

I know that keeping the powder measure full or nearly so is important to consistent meatering. So, as a retired guy with more free time to think and tinker, what if I cut a disk from 1/8 or 1/4 aluminum to fit the inside of my measure (not too close to keep it from cocking as it moves down) and set it on top of the powder to provide a consistent downward pressure. I believe there is a point of too much pressure would pack the below powder and cause inconsistent metering, but striking a balance would probably work. I also believe there would be a difference between ball / flake and extruded powder so different disks may be needed.

Some kernals of powder would get on top, but that wouldn't affect the operation. Has anyone tried this? If so was it successful? If not, do you folks think it would work?

tried it with and without... no differnce
    For whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.

My measure has a disk folded into a tepee with two holes along the edge to let the powder trickle past . It is very consistent , but don't know how much the disk contributes .
    Chris

I find stick powder gets caught between the cylinder and body of measurer , and ball and spherical doesn't. Ball and spherical are dense enough not to need a disk.
    For whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.

Go online and find you a Belding & Mull and your problems will be over

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Beld...8AAOSw4CFYuwdD
    Last edited by Litt'le Lee; 03-08-2017 at 07:56.

Blog Entries

I had not heard of a powder baffle before, so after looking around the net I found a site with templates for various sizes of powder reservoirs, and the reviews look pretty good. Another thing I learned; after I drop the powder I don't set the case down until I close it with the bullet (one at a time). NEVER had a dud round in 20 years. However; since my measure is mounted to my bench, and the bench doesn't weigh a bzillion pounds, moving from powder drop to bullet seating probably causes further settling of the powder which would affect the nest round powder drop.

Now I'm rethinking; do the powder drop on all cases in the block, monitor every 5th dropped charge for consistency, at least at first (and with the baffle). There should be an improvement. I just don't like leaving 'open' cases waiting for interuptions to the loading process. Maybe if there is an interruption, I'll pull the next empty and lay it on the rest of the cases in the block so I'll know where I left off.

Thanks for your replies.

Belding & Mull powder measure is the most accurate measure I've ever used. I have both large and small metering devices. Got mine back in the 60's when they were affordable.

If a powder thrower isn't consistent, regardless of how full it is or the type of powder, throw it away. It's no good.
    Spelling and grammar count!

Lyman 1200 DPS 3 works great with any powder I throw at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunray View Post
    If a powder thrower isn't consistent, regardless of how full it is or the type of powder, throw it away. It's no good.
    accuracy is not effected by anything under a half a grain, for rifle loads.