Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by 5MadFarmers View Post
    You didn't actually answer Rick's question. Yes, Authors do make mistakes but Brophy's number is actually accurate - depending what you're after. As is your number.

To answer Rick's question:
    11,299, the number you received from Brophy, is standard service rifles.
    1,811 were star gauged rifles.
    521 were star gauged and specifically for the national matches.

Total is as Smokeeaterpilot provides - to included all three groupings.

But your point remains Rick that 13,631 versus 11,299 isn't going to materially affect arming an army of 3,000,000 thereabouts.

6 rifles were altered for .45acp so lose those but, in addition to the 13,631, they made 165 receivers. Given the other spare parts that takes it to over 13,700 so perhaps Pershing felt better.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

"But 5, you skipped the other 9 receivers listed separately!"

Yikes!

====

If the topic is of interest to you, you may wish to check out the post I'll be making momentarily in "books and videos." The questions to above are addressed.
    Didn't answer it because I simply couldn't. The paperwork did not make make the statement concerning variations or categories of M1903. Simply stated:

"1. This office requests that a complete, but brief history of the production of Springfield rifles, model 1903, be furnished for the period previous to the declaration of war, April 6, 1917."

All numbers appear to be inclusive since it does not stipulate service grade versus national match, star gauged, etc.

Smokeeater and I are friends and I was just razzing him about the "extra" 2000 rifles. I find, as I get older and have to spend more time trying to explain my humor!! LOL!!
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Rick the Librarian View Post
    Smokeeater and I are friends and I was just razzing him about the "extra" 2000 rifles. I find, as I get older and have to spend more time trying to explain my humor!! LOL!!
    No problem.

Kind of hidden in what I posted is a real problem. Everybody tends to take "production" rifles and then starts looking at the serials. In doing that myself with trapdoors, once upon a time as the story goes, I also looked in the parts and found receivers. Number wasn't insignificant. Same thing is true for the other guns. More so for the M-1905 bayonets from what I remember when I reviewed those.

So:
    1) Finished rifles.
    2) Receivers.
    3) Receivers which received a number but likely didn't make it all the way through production.

Makes it a bit messy. Then, with respect to Krags, I noticed two additional issues:
    4) Numbers which appear to be stamping mistakes.
    5) Indications that the reports were gamed.

I doubt #5 affects M-1903s for specific reasons but #4 perhaps could.

All of which should be boiled down to "be careful of the completed rifles number as it's only useful for certain things."

For what it's worth they broke the rifles out by group due to cost differences.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Rick the Librarian View Post
    Not your fault. He has no humor. And his research is subpar
    Last edited by Kaliman; 03-11-2017 at 07:40.

I learned quite a while back that "date of manufacture" tables are indications, only, not etched in concrete.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

Well I'll be, has anyone ever seen a Krag or Springfield for that matter with that anchor stamp? I sure haven't, and as a Navy man I'd like to get my paws on one!

7. Default

You gotta get a Lee Navy for that!

Somebody mention a Lee-Navy??

IMG_3601 (863x1024).jpg

IMG_3598 (1024x342).jpg
    --C.S. Lewis

Commenting on 'lack of bring prepared' before going to war. Back in those days we tended to mind our own business till provoked, the Germans sub sinking of that ship did it in WW1, and of course Pearl in WW11. And we were just as unprepared at the start of WW11, even tho most in authority knew we would be drawn in sooner then later. Now we are quick to strike, even when there is no danger directly to us. That started with Nam, I think.
    You can never go home again.

10. Default

"Corpsman UP!" USMC have no Marine medics; we have US Navy Hospital Corpsmen. So the gentleman in the photo is likely a Sailor who Marines call "Doc".