Default What you could get in 1936 for $8.85 shipped

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg[ATTACH=CONFIG]

I bought this rifle from a friend, now sadly deceased, 28 years ago. It was his father's. The paperwork says "cleaned and repaired". As all parts are Eddystone, and the rifling is great, with an 8-18 barrel, I doubt if this ever left the States for France. Or, at least, it never saw combat. I doubt it had to be repaired. I imagine the cleaning, if any, was done by his father. I am pretty sure it was never re-worked by the government and is in "as issued" condition.
    Of course, in 1936, $8.85 could feed an adult and maybe a family for a week or more, and many people would not have wanted to spend that on a rifle, however good it was. But still, it is amazing what you could get back then.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 5.jpg (96.0 KB, 78 views)

That's really amazing. How does it shoot?

I have not taken it out in years, but I am loading some imitation 150 Grain GI ball to try it out. I'll let you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Merc View Post
    That's really amazing. How does it shoot?
    It shoots quite well aimed at 6 o'clock on an SR-1 repair center, at 100 yards, with the rear sight set at the minimum of 200 yards. After years of shooting the '03. the trigger on the 1917 sure takes some getting used to.

5. Default

According to the CPI Inflation Calculator, $8.85 in 1936=$154.61 today. A real bargain!

I can remember those in a department store in Chicago for $32.50!!!!!!!!!!!

When I was finally old enough to buy one (my mother always said "NO") I paid over $100 for my first Eddystone at a shop just over the Chicago border. It came with a nickeled oiler and pull-through in the buttstock. By the time I found a 1907 sling and a '17 bayonet I had almost $150 invested in the thing. The divorce lawyer got the proceeds from its sale in 1983.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

Used to visit the local Surplus Store in Jacksonville, NC in the early 50's. Couple of wood barrels filled with Springfield '03's. $15.00.
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe, while Congress is in session." Mark Twain

An old colonel I know grew up on a ranch in southwest Texas that had an auxiliary field which hosted "pursuit planes" from Kelly and Randolph fields on cross country flights in the early 30's. They would offer the rancher family .30'06 ammo out of the planes. At one point a pilot told the rancher that he could buy him an 03 for $5. The $5 was handed over and on a later visit a 1917 Enfield Was delivered.... "They were out of 03's." Sadly the Colonel sporterized it, grinding the ears off.