1. Default WW2 U.S.M.C. M1 A1 questions

Hi. Can anyone recommend a reliable book or site covering the ww2 USMC Sniper Rifle. I’m interested on how receivers-rifles, bolts and barrels were chosen. Were receivers all from “National match” or “Special Target” Rifles? Were receivers, bolts and barrels measured for specific tolerances? Are all barrels star stamped? What years and makes were rifles or receivers and barrels chosen from? Last, how would one id a true correct M1 A1 weapon, I.E. serial number blocks, barrel dates, stock and parts stamping etc.
    Thanks again
    Scott
    Last edited by kicker; 12-30-2018 at 04:57.

To be honest there isn't a good book. Senich's one round war is probably the best published, but it's really out of date, and several of the rifles in there are questionable at best. The other books I've seen on the Unertls aren't even as good as Senich's and have a lot of really incorrect info.

The easiest way to put all this, all the 1903 Unertl snipers used by the MArines in WWII, started out as National Match rifles first. But some were rebarreled by the Marines and became known as a Marine Special Target.

They do fall in pretty narrow serial ranges as the Marines only received NM rifles in certain years.

By far the most common ones fall in the mid to later 1.49 serial range, from the 1937 shipment and the mid to high 1.52 from the 1940 shipment. There might be some in the low 1.53 as I've heard of them but haven't seen a legit one yet.

You can find them earlier but not as common. I have a 1.49 from the 37 shipment, as well as a 1.45 that is from the 35 or 36 shipment.

The barrel would only be star marked if original to the receiver. But most barrels were replaced on the team rifles by the Marines at the end of the season. They liked to repalce them around the 1000 round count, so NM barrels were replaced a lot. Because of this, you might find orignal barrels from the 37 and 40 shipments, but earlier you would not expect to find the original barrel.

Even though the books state they assembled these rifles during WWII, this does not seem correct. Not for the Unertl. The barrels were replaced at the end of the team season and always put into storage for the next year. So the barrels probably were all replaced by the end of the 1940 season. Though one could argue some might have been at the end of 41, as they did practice for the 1941 matches but they were cancelled.

All evidence points to the bolts were blued during WWII, the handguard modified, and the bases attached to the rifle. That seems to be all that was done to the ones that were shipped to the PAcific.

All real Unertl rifles I have seen, I believe were rebarreled prior to the start of mounting scopes in Jan 43. The Marines did assemble some snipers in WWII but these were based on the previous A5 design, and I think the building of these rifles has been confused with the Unertl.

If you want to see a lot of real rifles, Tim's website does a good job and is a 1000X better than any book in print. Plus it's free.

https://usmcweaponry.com/usmc-nation...-sniper-rifle/

- - - Updated - - -

I should state too, if you are asking because you are looking to buy one. Be VERY careful.

I have seen only a couple real ones sell at auction. Even some of the ones claiming to be documented that are selling for 30k plus right now at the big auction houses are not real.
    Last edited by cplnorton; 01-01-2019 at 08:55.

3. Default

Thanks for the help.
    scott