Default New trapdoor barrel & receiver

Hi, Tom, Dick and all just a little bragging here received a barrel/receiver I picked up off e-bay the other this morning.
    It is a brand new never used barrel assy. also never assembled into a working rifle. there is no tang, never was no witness marks also no witness marks for ever being in a stock or barrel bands. No front sight blade or pin.
    It is new, perfect blue no marks on it at all. It was sold off and the chamber opening was damaged by the Gov. with an acetelene torch to make un-usable. Damage is slight about 3/8" in, partial case rim shoulder still there gone in the bottom of the chamber no other damage perfect new bore and chamber otherwise. Will have to weld it some to fill in depressions and then sleeve.
    This thing is just so pretty WOW!:
    I got it for $61.00 neat huh?
    Serial #253592

Jim

Sounds interesting how about posting a few pictures of the cut and front sight stud.Is the receiver installed on the barrel as you say there is no witness mark and the front stud is not slotted for a blade?? something odd there.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Trevor View Post
    Sounds interesting how about posting a few pictures of the cut and front sight stud.Is the receiver installed on the barrel as you say there is no witness mark and the front stud is not slotted for a blade?? something odd there.
    Tom, The receiver is installed but no tang and the front stud is slotted. Looking at it through a loop can see no evidence of the front sight blade or pin having been installed same with the rest. It looks overall like it was just unwrapped from a paper covering if you know what i mean.
    Camera is down have to clean up some leaky battery gook and not sure how to post picts.
    The damage is some metal cut away from the chamber opening around the bottom and extractor side to remove the shell flange shelf about 3/8" in from the end am going to take over to where I used to work to unscrew the barrel and determine how to fix with a sleeve and welding if necessary.

Jim

If the receiver is screwed on the barrel and will unscrew then it sounds like a fix will work I was wondering if they were welded together?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Trevor View Post
    If the receiver is screwed on the barrel and will unscrew then it sounds like a fix will work I was wondering if they were welded together?
    It's not welded together there is a nice clean edge of the receiver where it meets the barrel tenon it just has had some metal removed to make unusable if i clean up the edges of the places where the torch was used to cut out the barrel I can slide in a shell.

jim

jim,

You did good. I would take the barrel loose and repair the damage with plain carbon steel rod and a neutral flame - and let it cool **slowly**. YMMV.

Good luck!
    jn