Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Hosmer View Post
    When they were starting in the antique gun business - maybe 10/12 years ago? - they did not do their due diligence, and bargains could be had even in the Library. News of this apparently filtered back to the bigwigs and they put a stop to it via the above noted car dealer M.O.
    An inefficient company is a company which will fold. They're bound to improve efficiency over time.

The gun library is like my living room wall. It's decoration. Offer me enough and you'll be taking a decoration home with you. I'll re-decorate for a premium.

I'd browse the racks at Reno, except it is an ALL-day trip (not "across from the grocery store") to do so. Even though I really like driving my new Tucson, that's a bit much, for iffy results.
    Yeah, that's kind of a time/money/interest thing. No different from trolling gunbroker. If I just wanted something it'd be more fruitful to work. Why? Good money. From a time/money perspective a job will easily offset any value of a bargain. So why bother spending time trolling for deals? It's fun. Unlike a job. So if trolling guns is something one finds interesting, and they have a place nearby, go for it. The sooner you hit the door after the item the more likely you'll get a peach. I could easily go there daily if I really wanted to. Just not that interested.

If you want a deal at that place go weekly. Talk to them. If you're specific enough, and polite, they might even call you when something hits the radar.

I was talking to the gun dude at the one over in Milwaukee some years ago. He gave me a tip on a collection. They'd been contacted but weren't interested. Not bad people to know.

I took some pictures of the carbine, just have to wait for my iT person.....Short story on SRS numbers....I was looking to purchase a krag to fill a hole in my collection....I saw a Pennsylvania deer rifle, a cut down krag....The saddle ring was filled in, so I gave it a miss, but I did record the number....Researched the number, it was a real carbine....I discovered that carbine was issued in Pittsburg Pa to a newly established regular army unit that was just stood up.....That unit was sent to the PI....In Dug out Doug's annual report of 02 or 03, the unit with the krag was reported in a named town....That carbine was only $200...2 weeks had passed, and they had turned the day before I called....10 years ago cut down krag's were a dime a dozen, only if....
    Some thoughts on Cabelas....Years ago I was told the Hamburg Pa was the largest in the country...The personnel turn over was , and is very high ..If you stay for 13 years or longer you are let go....No retirement bennies there....They were the place to sell your estate, or collection....I know they don't offer anything fair....Word got out, collections went down....What did happen, more gun auctions started up, gun dealers did not close down.....The biggest gun auction is in Lancaster county, they take 30%, if it goes over 10 grand, the cut goes to 20%....At Cabelas you are lucky to get 50%......Any way, back in the day it was easy to find a Cabelas mistake....If you knew a little bit, you could make a couple of bucks....It was a blast.....

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by blackhawk2 View Post
    I took some pictures of the carbine, just have to wait for my iT person.....Short story on SRS numbers....I was looking to purchase a krag to fill a hole in my collection....I saw a Pennsylvania deer rifle, a cut down krag....The saddle ring was filled in, so I gave it a miss, but I did record the number....Researched the number, it was a real carbine....I discovered that carbine was issued in Pittsburg Pa to a newly established regular army unit that was just stood up.....That unit was sent to the PI....In Dug out Doug's annual report of 02 or 03, the unit with the krag was reported in a named town....That carbine was only $200...2 weeks had passed, and they had turned the day before I called....10 years ago cut down krag's were a dime a dozen, only if....
    Somebody grabbed it before it went cold. The main thing you did right, and it's the most important thing, is checked the rear sight. You mentioned it was rifle. The amount of kicking you give yourself is based on the sight as that, on a carbine, is really the high dollar part. If it was a carbine sight, at $200, then you'd really want to kick yourself. Rifle sight? Not so much. Letting a carbine go at $200 is kind of ugly but, conversely, if you did get it you'd be looking to spend some coin on a carbine sight.

Some thoughts on Cabelas....Years ago I was told the Hamburg Pa was the largest in the country...The personnel turn over was , and is very high ..If you stay for 13 years or longer you are let go....No retirement bennies there....They were the place to sell your estate, or collection....I know they don't offer anything fair....Word got out, collections went down....What did happen, more gun auctions started up, gun dealers did not close down.....The biggest gun auction is in Lancaster county, they take 30%, if it goes over 10 grand, the cut goes to 20%....At Cabelas you are lucky to get 50%......Any way, back in the day it was easy to find a Cabelas mistake....If you knew a little bit, you could make a couple of bucks....It was a blast.....
    Every venue seems to go through that. When eBay first appeared, everybody and their brother started selling the stuff they had laying around. Nobody could find anything, people didn't know how to bid, eBay would freeze up and people couldn't get bids in. It was 24/7 bonanza. eBay improved and buyer's improved. Today it's downright hard to get a steal.

Local estate auctions were a bonanza. Drive out to the middle of nowhere and get interesting stuff cheap. "Competition" was local so you might in fact be the only one there interested. Went to one auction where there were 8 buyers. Nice full length Wilde Bayonet came home with me for a song. Accompanied by some other nice bayonets and knives. Took a Remington Model 8 for $60 at one.

Then they discovered Proxybid and national competition joined in. Today it's downright hard to get a steal.

That said, Proxibid is likely the best venue right now. The only thing better is an auction by a local place without any online presence.

Last Krag rifle I bought was in real nice shape and in incredible shape. No buyer's fee and no tax.
    Last M1 rifle I took was a lend-lease. No buyer's fee and no tax.

Same house, different auctions.

Carbines pop up on Proxibid. The big places, Rock Island, etc., are on there too. Not Julie though that I've seen.

Default some bad pictures

Got to Cabelas, it was packed, and I rushed the photo's....Will try to post a few more....I learned from my first mistake...Found a Cabelas mistake a few years ago....It was a cut down krag...Some one did me a favor and installed a C rear sight....Took a chance at $250, as the Baltimore show was in a couple of weeks....A guy was walking the line, I said $750, he said $ 650, I said sold....Baltimore has to be the neatest show in the country...It is like going to a museum, where you can buy stuff....Frank Mallory said it is a show of high end humpers....regards...alex
    Attached Images Attached Images

5. Default

Rear sight is really the key there. It it's rifle I'd not be surprised. Look at the finish (more accurately lack thereof) on the saddle ring bits. Then look at that barrel band. I'd say the band was replaced as it doesn't match the finish on the saddle ring. Or the other metal bits really. So, at a guess, I'd say it's a carbine that somebody "restored" without access to matching parts. Not any kind of crime or anything. So, on that one, it really does boil down to the sight. If it's a rifle sight the "desired" M-1896 carbine sight will set you back, let's call it $500, so you're looking at $1,200 for a gun with "finish mismatch issues." That's assuming you're patient enough to find a sight. If that does have the carbine sight you're looking at quite a good deal.

Because of the incorrect replaced top hand guard, I could not observe a C.....I am sure, at a glance, you will know what it is....I don't know for sure....I have veered out of my lane....Last picture is for Dick....It was taken thru a glass door....The gun library was over whelmed, it was the closest I could get to them...One of them had a ram rod....enjoy.....regards....alex

8. Default

Because of the incorrect replaced top hand guard, I could not observe a C.....I am sure, at a glance, you will know what it is
    Rifle. Carbine graduations go to 20. Where the "18" is on the rifle it'll be "20" on a carbine with a "C" on the other side. Base will have C also but the ladder needs the "20" and "C." For what it's worth there are rifle sights out there "refinished to carbine markings" by the hopeful but (so far) untalented.

Hand guard is lumber.

Myself I'd pass at that price. Finding rear sights for carbines is hard. The 1896c rates nearly impossible.

Last edited by 5MadFarmers; 03-05-2017 at 06:14.