Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Colt 38 Detective Special

I just acquired a 1948 Colt 38 Detective Special revolver that appears to be in average condition for its age. What tests and measurements are performed on a revolver to determine its shootability?

Things I look at when I check out a revolver.

Open the cylinder and spin it. The cylinder should spin freely. If the cylinder doesn't spin the usual culprits are crud in the mechanism, damage to the crane by folks repeatedly snapping it shut with a flick of the wrist or a slightly bent ejector rod.
    With the cylinder shut, check the cylinder for fore and aft play. The cylinder should move little if any and should not drag on the barrel at all.
    Cock the hammer in the single action mode. The cylinder should lock in place over each chamber.
    Slowly pull the trigger in the double action mode while controlling the hammer with your thumb. The cylinder should lock into place just before the hammer falls on each chamber. Colts tend to lose timing with much use. Repairing this can be pricey.
    Cock the hammer then try to make it fall by applying thumb pressure on the back of the hammer spur. The hammer should not fall. If the hammer does fall its a sign of tampering and this one is a deal breaker.

If it passes all of these you have an un "bubba-ed" in time revolver with no bent, damaged or seriously worn parts.
    Last edited by Art; 02-28-2017 at 06:49.

Look at the gap between the face of the cylinder and the back end of the barrel. Now look straight up just above that gap to the bottom of the top strap. What your looking for on the bottom of the top strap is flame cutting. If the pistol has been shot enough the flame that jumps across the cylinder and the back of the barrel will start eroding the bottom of the strap. I've seen flame erosion so bad on some revolvers that a mechanical pencil lead will fit in the cut. Hope this helps.

Here are two pics of the Colt 38 Detective Special.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Merc; 02-27-2017 at 08:37.

There is some blueing loss to holster wear and someone scratched their initials on the left side of the gun (GP) and the date (3-29-52) probably marked for ID purposes. The gun passes all tests and measurements. Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by Merc; 02-27-2017 at 08:56.

Quote Originally Posted by Merc View Post
    There is some blueing loss to holster wear and someone scratched their initials on the left side of the gun (GP) and the date (3-29-52) probably marked for ID purposes. The gun passes all tests and measurements. Thanks for the help.
    Nice older D.S. It looks used but not abused. I think you did well.

7. Default

Merc--

It looks like the leftside plate has been replaced. The bluing and wear should be same on those areas as these revolvers are blued at the same time. The markings looks like evidence markings that was scratched into the gun. Usually the initials of the investigator and the date the gun was seized by police. I have one like it, it sat in the police chief's desk drawer new until he retired. It has just a few scratches from the debris in his drawer.

--fjruple

Quote Originally Posted by fjruple View Post
    Merc--

It looks like the leftside plate has been replaced. The bluing and wear should be same on those areas as these revolvers are blued at the same time. The markings looks like evidence markings that was scratched into the gun. Usually the initials of the investigator and the date the gun was seized by police. I have one like it, it sat in the police chief's desk drawer new until he retired. It has just a few scratches from the debris in his drawer.

--fjruple
    I wondered about the marks. Thanks for the information.

Aren't the Colt side plates serial numbered beneath to the gun? Might be worth a look-see. If it's a replacement, then another replacement wouldn't hurt.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

Quote Originally Posted by JB White View Post
    Aren't the Colt side plates serial numbered beneath to the gun? Might be worth a look-see. If it's a replacement, then another replacement wouldn't hurt.
    JB,

I'll probably keep the gun in its original configuration. It was my sister's home protector and her snake gun since her home was in Arizona.

Merc