Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Tumbling loaded ammo question

i reloaded a bunch of .45 ACP loaded with 230g cast bullets. There's lube all over the outside of the cartridge casings. Can I tumble (vibrate-clean) the finished ammo? Or is there a risk of making the powder charge inside finer and changing the burn characteristics of it?

Personally I wouldn't. I'd be afraid of a round detonating. I size my 45acp cases using a carbide die. No lube to bother with.

No problem, been doing it for years. Will not affect powder size or anything else as 10-15 minutes is all that is required. I have loaded over a million rounds in 45 odd years and have tumbled the majority, especially 5.56 or 7.62
    Sam

4. Default

The lube I mean was the smears of red sticky stuff from cast bullets. I haven't tried the powder coat method yet - have quite a stockpile of the traditional lubed cast on hand.

Thanks! After posting this question I found a nice analysis on AR15.com, where a guy used a microscope to examine the grains of several powders. Science!

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/989...nds_in_OP.html

Tumbling doesn't change powder burn rates. Burn rates are determined by the chemicals in the powder not the size of the granules.
    "...sticky stuff from cast bullets..." Been keeping cast bullets in my refrigerator to stop the lube doing that for eons. The answer to, "Why do you have bullets in your 'frig'?" is "Keeps 'em fresh." snicker.
    Spelling and grammar count!

6. Default

I like that idea about keeping them cold. I'll try it.

Quote Originally Posted by 1-12 INF (M) View Post
    I like that idea about keeping them cold. I'll try it.

me too.

8. Default

What I also did was set up a head with a spare set of 45 ACP dies - this one for cast bullets only set to bell the case mouth a little more. With FMJ's, only a minimum amount is needed to work the brass less. But I noticed I don't have lube smears on my .45 Colt loads that are all cast, since those case mouths are belled quite a bit.
    Last edited by 1-12 INF (M); 03-02-2017 at 05:38.

I know a guy that vacuumed up a shotgun primer... it blew up in the vac bag.

You don't need to lube those cases... if you use carbide dies.

http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/779...gu8aAknA8P8HAQ
    Last edited by milboltnut; 03-03-2017 at 02:44.
    For whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.

By rights even carbine dies need some case lube just not as much. They can become covered in carbon inside and carbon can cause scratches on cases and will finally imbed itself in the dies. Oh and tumbling loaded ammo does nothing to it. The factories do it to clean the loaded ammo before packaging.