Thread: my snipers

Default my snipers

My 1903a4 which ive posted a couple times, and my 1859 Sharps "Berdan" Rifle (armi sport repro). Sharps rifle was primary weapon of the 1st and 2nd US sharpshooters in the american civil war. A4 is fairly accurate with a 40x bushnell scope and consistantly hits and groups good on a sheet of plywood at 800 yards. The sharps does hit a sheet of plywood at about 600 yards, not great groups but what do you want... lol It is deadly against gallon milk jugs within 200 yards easily
    Last edited by Embalmer; 09-11-2009 at 03:14.

Some of my old friends!
    Freedom is not free, the cost can be seen everyday, for it is engraved in marble, cast in bronze and highlighted with little American flags!

What caliber is that Sharps rifle? I like it!

Sharps is a .54 cal rifle. The double trigger (set and 1 pound hair trigger) is as smooth as can be. Definitly a fun gun to use, and gets alot of questions, as people seem more accustomed the the calvary sharps carbines. I miss shooting my cartridge guns as much (garand, carbine, 03a4 , browning 30 cal ect) as I used to, but my black powder guns are just so much cheaper to shoot now.

Matt, EMF used too sell the scope for the sharp rifle. They might still sell it an it might shrink your groups an extend your range. Nice rifles though, an for the .54 do you use paper or just loose ball an powder ?

I make the paper cartridges using rolling paper. I tried the loose ball and powder method when I first got it, but took away some of the fun aspects of teaching the difference between the muzzle loaders, the breechloaders, and my spencer when came to use in the civil war. I wont mount a scope to it, as I still use it for my 2nd USSS impression for reenacting. I do however have a 1853 repro enfield I put a 60" 2.5X brass scope on, which is deadly at 600 yards and groups tight. My eyesight is crap past 300 yards, and the plywood at 600 is a blur to me so hitting it is a huge feat to me with iron sights. my 1903a4 i do well with as I use a 40X bushnell scope so I can make out where im hitting and keep it on the same spot.