Default M1 loading difficulty

I watched two guys at a range trying to load a full clip into a M1 today and they weren't having much luck. I'd say they got it about half way into the mag. And they began pushing on it and hammering on it with their fists. And there it stuck. Wouldn't go in and it wouldn't come out. I might add that the rifle in general appeared to be in rough shape. Grew weary of watching the abuse and left. So, what could cause this condition?

would guess assembled incorrectly

With the available information, I'd say Litt'le Lee's guess is a pretty good one. Given all of the correct parts, there aren't very many ways to assemble a Garand action incorrectly and still get everything to fit together. I'd bet that if an experienced person took a look, the problem would quickly be obvious.
    Last edited by IditarodJoe; 02-21-2017 at 08:03.
    "They've took the fun out of running the race. You never see a campfire anywhere. There's never any time for visiting." - Joe Redington Sr., 1997

Sounds about right to me too!
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

5. Default

In my experience at CMP clinics 90% of the time when the clip will not go in it's due to a long seated round in the clip. It's the first thing I check.
    CecilB

Could be they were using European made clips and GI or early HXP ammunition. The extractor groove in GI and earlier HXP ammo is not as tall as the groove in 7.62 NATO ammo. The later, Euro enblock clips repositioned the rail that catches the extractor groove. In any case, some of the Euro clips interfere with GI brass with the shorter groove on GI style cases and spreads the clip enough to interfere with loading.

Could be something from the follower on down to the fork could have something bent out of spec or an extremely dirty rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by tmark View Post
    Could be something from the follower on down to the fork could have something bent out of spec or an extremely dirty rifle.
    The M1 appeared to be in rough shape. The way they were handling it could have bent something. Hard to watch.

Sounds like a couple (wanna be) experts trying to prove their dominance at the range, and looking very bad at doing it, LOL Maybe it was best that they couldn't get it loaded!
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

Quote Originally Posted by psteinmayer View Post
    Sounds like a couple (wanna be) experts trying to prove their dominance at the range, and looking very bad at doing it, LOL Maybe it was best that they couldn't get it loaded!
    Probably right. The old boy looked as if it's seen it's share of abuse.