Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Few questions on an 1899 carbine I picked up recently

While I eagerly await Farmers book I thought I would ask a few questions on an 1899 carbine I recently brought home.
    It has no handguard and a 1902 rear sight. Would this have had a "C" marked sight originally? S/N is 353464

If I leave the 1902 on it, what do I use for a handguard and how does it stay on? I see no way for anything to keep it in place.

I also need the sight base screws. Someone had brass wood screws jammed in it. Threads in barrel look fine. Other than Ebay, is there a place that sells parts?

It had a snap on front sight hood on it, like those seen on M1903's. Did krags ever use this type of front sight hood?

Thanks,
    Dave

While I eagerly await Farmers book I thought I would ask a few questions on an 1899 carbine I recently brought home.
    It has no handguard and a 1902 rear sight.

Would this have had a "C" marked sight originally? S/N is 353464 Yes, and M1902C sights are scarce.

If I leave the 1902 on it, what do I use for a handguard and how does it stay on? The handguard for the M1902 sight uses the same two sets of clips common to all Krags

I see no way for anything to keep it in place. You do not by any chance have a 30" stock, do you? The barrel band unique to that stock was never meant to be used with the 1902 sight, which was only intended for use with the 32" stock.

I also need the sight base screws. Someone had brass wood screws jammed in it. Threads in barrel look fine. Other than Ebay, is there a place that sells parts? Try the vendors listed at www.trapdoorcollector.com

It had a snap on front sight hood on it, like those seen on M1903's. Did krags ever use this type of front sight hood? Yes, and they are quite valuable

Thanks,
    Dave
    Last edited by Dick Hosmer; 02-20-2017 at 09:56.

'M1Riflenut': Some pictures to help with your model 1899 Krag carbine questions.
    (1. Krag 1902 rifle sight & hand-guard - the carbine sight uses the same h-g. 2. Krag model 1899 carbine barrel-band. 3. Reproduction 1902 type hand-guard showing barrel-springs. 4., 5. and 6. model 1902 carbine sight - "C" may occur on either side of base, binding-knob may vary, some have swing-up 'peep'. 7. 1899 carbine front-sight and 'snap-on' cover/hood.

KrR-4.jpgkrag carbine band.JPGkrag-HG30cnts.JPGcarbine-sgt02-1.JPGcarbine-sgt02-2.JPG
    Last edited by butlersrangers; 02-20-2017 at 02:30.

The rest of the pictures:

carbine-sgt02-3.JPGkrag'99-blade.JPG

Hand-guard caution: Krag hand-guards are easily cracked. DO NOT snap hand-guard on and off barrel. The best method is to slide hand-guard on or off barrel, with rear-sight removed and barreled-action out of stock.

It is wise to store 'unattached' hand-guards with coins inserted to counter act spring tension (a Quarter and a Nickel).

Decent replica sight screws can be purchased from S & S Firearms, Glendale, N.Y.
    Last edited by butlersrangers; 02-20-2017 at 04:10.

Thanks guys for the information and tips. I'll try and get some pics up later this week. My front sight cover is the same as the one pictured above, with the C mark. This same shop had a few others but this one seemed to be the best. What I never noticed was if any of the others had the C marked sight. Also, there was one that looked like manlicher type stock. I assumed it was a modified rifle stock? It didn't go all the way to the end of the barrel but was defineatly longer than a carbine stock. Maybe a Bannerman rifle? Either way, I seem to recall it had a handguard. For $450 it might be worth it as a parts gun.

Check the serial number on the short rifle. If the barrel is 26" and the number is in the 387-389K range buy it!!!!! If the barrel is 22", is turned down for about 1/2" at the muzzle, and the stock stops the same distance from the muzzle as on a full-length rifle, it is a "school gun" made up for college ROTC use. Still a good price, unless it is a dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Hosmer View Post
    Check the serial number on the short rifle. If the barrel is 26" and the number is in the 387-389K range buy it!!!!! If the barrel is 22", is turned down for about 1/2" at the muzzle, and the stock stops the same distance from the muzzle as on a full-length rifle, it is a "school gun" made up for college ROTC use. Still a good price, unless it is a dog.
    Thanks for the tip! I'm hoping to get back to that shop thursday night. Been getting out of work to late this week but they are open late thursdays.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by M1Riflenut View Post
    It had a snap on front sight hood on it, like those seen on M1903's. Did krags ever use this type of front sight hood?

Thanks,
    Dave
    Careful on those - reproductions are out there. The reproductions look not too bad. Cheap and don't work well though. Which is really a problem as they look right - hard to tell from original. With a repro and an original to compare it becomes pretty clear but that's not a sight thing - more texture and such.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by M1Riflenut View Post
    Would this have had a "C" marked sight originally? S/N is 353464
    In the book with why and a letter that dates it. No M-1899 carbines from the three primary blocks shipped with the M-1902 sight. After the 3 primary blocks "new" carbines are in almost non-existent numbers. So that's really yet another iteration of "let's replace all the sights again." That number is really third block and that's M-1901 sight land. M-1902 is a redo.

One will normally find M-1899 stocks with three different years in the cartouche. "1902" isn't one of them. That too is a sign.

10. Default

I have two 1899 carbines with the 1902 cartouche. Both of these have seen use. Cartouches are real (I have seen the bad ones). Serial numbers not available right now but are in the 360K to 370K range. Supposedly 200 or so were dated 1902.