Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default two groove? Military barrel

Are the lands really wide? And the grooves really faint? I believe it's a 1903 rec/barrel.

And if any of you are familiar with after market barrels I'd appreciate any input. Do Shilen barrels make two grooves too? I read they did at one time.
    Last edited by milboltnut; 02-18-2017 at 02:35.
    For whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.

Yes they are wide and shallow. The groove depth is only about .006" deep--that's about the thickness of two sheets of lined writing paper.
    Jon

2 groove would be a 1903A3 barrel.
    all 1903 barrels are 4 groove
    if it aint broke...fix it till it finally is.

I believe Smith-Corona made some 03A3 barrels/rifles with 4 groove. I had one, (once upon a time).
    You can never go home again.

so only Remington made 2 groove barrels?
    For whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.

Original 03 rifles made by Rem. were 4 groove, went to two groove with the A3. But the A3 was a sort of gradual thing, I think. S-C made A3's only, SOME with 4 groove barrels, (most were 2 groove) 4 groove maybe were acquired left over production from someone else. Get a book, I'm too lazy to check thru mine! S-C 4 groove are very scarce, if not rare! Some time I will look up my original DCM papers on the S-C.
    Last edited by dave; 02-20-2017 at 04:33.
    You can never go home again.

Ok cool thanks Dave... Which book should I get?

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    Original 03 rifles made by Rem. were 4 groove, went to two groove with the A3. But the A3 was a sort of gradual thing, I think. S-C made A3's only, SOME with 4 groove barrels, (most were 2 groove) 4 groove maybe were acquired left over production from someone else. Get a book, I'm too lazy to check thru mine! S-C 4 groove are very scarce, if not rare! Some time I will look up my original DCM papers on the S-C.
    I thought most SC's were 4 groove with some rare 6 grooves?

Smith Corona used some commercial 6 groove barrels to get production started with a waiver from big brother.

Supposedly SC made a FEW 2-grooved barrels but none have ever turned up to my knowledge. Remington made four-groove barrels until about mid-1943 (although there was apparently considerable overlap in production.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis