1. Default Colt 1911A1 Cartouche Serial Number Ranges, and value

Hello all, new to this site and like what I see so far!

Have questions on a 1911A1 that I've owned for the past 20+ years. I've read that the Robert Sears inspector cartouche for the Colt 1911A1 was used for serial numbers from 723,000 to 750,500. How exacting are those serial number ranges? Is there a Colt registry or some other organization that I can look into to answer this?

I ask because my 1911A1 s/n is 750549, and is still marked with the RS cartouches. From what I've read and found so far, his tenure and cartouche use should have been changed over to WB about 49 units earlier.

Additionally, should it be determined that this s/n (by some miracle) is the very last unit with the RS cartouche, does that add anything to the collector value?

Can someone also give me some idea of the retail value of this particular side arm, being manufactured just before the start of WWII? I see prices anywhere from $2,000 to $7,000.

Thank you!

IMG_4241.jpgIMG_4242.jpgIMG_4243.jpgIMG_4244.jpg

2. Default

The barrel should not be shiny on top. How is it marked? Does the slide serial number (under the firing pin stop) match the frame? Those two variables are much more important in determining value than if it is the last RS stamped pistol. If would also be helpful to know how the top of the frame is stamped; it may have WB and RS stamps.
    Last edited by kwill; 02-17-2017 at 09:14.

3. Default

Thanks for the quick reply. I suspect it had been rebarreled, as it does not have the Colt .45 Auto on the left side above the lug. The serial number of the slide matches the frame under the firing pin stop. The top of the frame is also stamped with the RS cartouche and the G for government.

I understand I could buy a barrel to get it back to where it needs to be for several hundred, am I correct on that?

4. Default

Finding a barrel won't be easy or cheap, but it can be done. ebay! You may or may not recover the cost if you sell the pistol. I should also point out that the grips are incorrect.
    Last edited by kwill; 02-17-2017 at 09:48.

5. Default

Thank you again! Any idea of value in this condition? I always knew the grips were not right.

Also, can you point me in the direction of finding the exact s/n range of the RS cartouches?

Quote Originally Posted by 66 Bonneville View Post

Also, can you point me in the direction of finding the exact s/n range of the RS cartouches?
    66 Bonneville,

Most likely, there is not an exact S/N range. Only aware of a approximate range 723000 - 750500.

The highest R.S. found in the books with a quick search is 750360. The lowest W.B. found, in the same book, is 750761. Yours is in the transition.

Best regards,
    Last edited by stan4; 02-18-2017 at 04:23.

To add the description from Stan4, the R.S. #750549 has been shipped by 11/21/41
    As described by Stan4 lowest W.B. #750761 correspond to 11/21/41 as well, in a shipment of 800
    Last edited by Mikecp; 02-19-2017 at 02:56.
    CCA Member
    Pro TELL