Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

LOL JB yes I learned it from my cabinet shop friend. He's not a gun guy so sometimes he just shakes his head back and forth at me but he always gives good advice.

Both sides glued up. Acetone used to remove the Waxilit for now. I had to order hard maple dowels as the local shop only had stuff that was too big in diameter. Once it is in I'll vertical drill and install the wood pegs. Blend, stain, and finish. Then to see if it still stocks up. Time will tell.IMG_1557.jpgIMG_1558.jpg

Like you said, time will tell. It looks like you pulled it off! Nice going.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

Pegging the left side close to the back will be the no room for error challenge. Once I get the dowel and look it over I'll know a tad bit more on how to exactly proceed. The right side and front of left side causes me little concern. Plenty of wood to work with.

nice job.

here's another type of lithgow crack repair.

http://www.milsurps.com/content.php?...a-Lithgow-SMLE

Thanks for the link.

All pegs are glued in and stain is on. Letting it sit a day or to than the finish can go on. Hopefully the pegs will blend a little more with oil. IMG_1561.jpgIMG_1562.jpg

4 pegs total, two on each side. one peg on each end of the crack.IMG_1563.jpgIMG_1564.jpgIMG_1565.jpg

Well wife busted me with her stand Oil and it got repossessed. So the art store had one bottle of cold pressed Linseed Oil left. I cut it 50 50 with pure pin gum turpentine. We will see how this works out.IMG_1566.jpg

Well three hand rubbing sessions of RLO later and this one is ready for test firing. The Forewood fit right back up nicely. No gap at the wrist face, or at least my .005 gauge never slipped in anywhere but the very top last tenth of an inch. Nose cap fit right back up. I have 7.5 lbs up pressure on barrel, what it was before. The rear handguard had to be relieved slightly on right side so it was not touching rear sight. Draws nice and tight, she should be good for a while. The butt stock and foreword handguard appear to match in color and abuse. The foreword and rear handguard appeared to match from the 45 rebuild. The foreword right now is not as yellow as the Rear handguard. As the RLO ages it should start to yellow on the forwewood. I marked the stock on the inside P246 2017 for whoever gets it in the future. Pics to follow.