Default NRA sales stocks?

Did the pre WW1 NRA rifles have normal cartouches on the stock?

Yes, they did ...although probably only JB could say if that particular person was "assigned" to inspecting NRA Sales rifles.

I have JSA (J. Sumner Adams) and JFC (J.F. Coyle) on mine. Don't know if there were others or not.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

3. Default

My NRA rifles have JSA and my RIA rifle is CN.

Yes, forgot about the RIAs - they would have all had CN/date, whether service rifles or NRA Sales rifles.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

My SA NRA sales rifle is also JFC inspected,. So far as I understand it, the NRA service type rifles were fully inspected with the appropriate Cartouche and proof marks. The NRA sporters, as I recall, have only a proof mark and no inspector marks.

6. Default

I have a very early sales rifle ( 1909 ) with the unknown BHM cartouche.

7. Default

Yes that is correct. Also not all sales rifles were marked NRA. That did not start till 1915 it is thought that most pre war 03's in fine condition are NRA rifles. NRA sporters were only P proofed.

I've been told that the "NRA" stamp was "after the fact". My earliest is a 1911 Sales rifle.
    --C.S. Lewis