Default 451345 and 116431

Both of these rifles came to me last week.

This is the perennial request for an SRS check and I thank you in advance.

451345 is intact, save for the bobbed forestock. All the parts match for patina and finish. Has a nice Circled P and a very nice 1903 Cartouche. It has an early 1902 rear sight without the flip-up aperture. The rear sight is stiff! The bore is quite nice.

116431 came to me sans handguard, extractor, middle barrel band and bolt, all of which it now has. Circled P, no cartouche, the stock has been bobbed and the barrel was cut back to 25 inches. No front sight. The bore is very nice, indeed. Is the 1905 front sight hard to install? Has 1902 rear sight WITH the flip-up aperture and will make a nice rifle for hunting.

Thanks again,

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Daiute; 02-13-2017 at 11:19.
    "A man with a tractor and a chain saw has no excuses, nor does he need any"
    Me. "Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" Emerson "Consistency is the darling of those that stack wood or cast bullets" Me.

Mark, No hit on 451345 closest is 451462. You do have a hit on 116431. 1899 co.D 8 Mass Vol Infy.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Trevor View Post
    Mark, No hit on 451345 closest is 451462. You do have a hit on 116431. 1899 co.D 8 Mass Vol Infy.
    Tom, thank you so much for taking the time to do that for me.

To bad it was so chopped up. It was listed as a rifle, was it not?

Thanks again,

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Daiute; 02-13-2017 at 02:52.
    Me. "Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" Emerson "Consistency is the darling of those that stack wood or cast bullets" Me.

Yes it was a rifle at one time!

I wasn't going to stretch it out, the 116413, may have to now, was planning on puting a 1905 front sight on it like so many carfles we see out there/

Mark,

I can see two ways to go with 116413. It does have some kind of SRS record, you could do a restoration. If you decide otherwise you might want to have a 'smith cut the barrel down to 22" and sweat on a front sight ramp. The Krag round doesn't need any more barrel than that to burn all its powder, and the shorter barrel makes for an easier carry in the woods.

God luck!

jn

Does 116413 have any regimental markings? I have always thought that if the owners of SRS guns ever pooled their marking info we MIGHT, given sufficient time, be able to better guess where other marked guns were used, based on style and placement of inscription. Not something I'm going to take on, but perhaps food for thought for a younger enthusiast.

Well I screwed up. There were the remnants of a seriphed "M", in white paint about 1" tall on the left side of the stock with the top of the "M" towards the muzzle.

I rushed to get the stock to photograph it and the letter was gone along with the lemon oil I had wiped off of the stock. Like a phyisician I believe that I should "Do no harm".

There you have it.

Mark

IGNORE ALL THIS. WAS THE OTHER RIFLE WITH THE LETTER M ON THE STOCK. TOO MANY RIFLES IN TOO SHORT A TIME.
    Last edited by Mark Daiute; 02-14-2017 at 10:26.