Threaded View

1. Default AR competition loads

My shooting partner and I are old CMP M1 and 03 shooters. At Perry last year we heard about the new rules allowing 4x scopes on ARs, which caught caught our aging eyes. With arthritis raising it's ugly head the idea of detachable mags was also an attraction. We put aside our lifelong dislike of plastic and aluminum and each bough 1-8 NM ARs from the nice folks at Rock River.

I've gathered the (multitude) of tools and gauges, a few books and components and am currently finishing brass prep. Both guns shot into 3/4" or better (sometimes much better) at 100 in the back yard last fall with 12x scopes, 24.0 gr RL15 behind Sierra 69 gr BT's seated magazine length. We've not gotten to the range yet to shoot 200, 300 and 600. We'll be screwing Vortex 4x scopes on the ARs in the spring. We'd like to squeeze the NRA EIC, President's 100 and the Infantry Trophy matches in between the CMP matches we always shoot. I do the loading and need to figure out the combination of rounds we'll need for the various ranges and rules involved.

I'm ready to buy components and need some advice: From what I've read, for 200 and maybe beyond, the 68-69 gr Noslers, Hornadys and of course the Sierra are bullets of choice. For 500-600 the 77 Sierra, 75 Hornady AMAX and 77 gr Nosler are popular along with some of the 80s. I'm going to try them all but would like to avoid any wasteful dead ends.

Questions:

Can any or all of the Nosler/Hornady/Sierra 75-77 gr BTs be seated for the AR magazine and still shoot at 200-300 yds?

What is the best (magazine-dependent) bullet/load across the course for Rattle Battle? Do you need different loads for 600-500 and 300-200?

All opinions gratefully received. Dokcop.
    Last edited by dokcop; 02-11-2017 at 12:35.