Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default AR competition loads

My shooting partner and I are old CMP M1 and 03 shooters. At Perry last year we heard about the new rules allowing 4x scopes on ARs, which caught caught our aging eyes. With arthritis raising it's ugly head the idea of detachable mags was also an attraction. We put aside our lifelong dislike of plastic and aluminum and each bough 1-8 NM ARs from the nice folks at Rock River.

I've gathered the (multitude) of tools and gauges, a few books and components and am currently finishing brass prep. Both guns shot into 3/4" or better (sometimes much better) at 100 in the back yard last fall with 12x scopes, 24.0 gr RL15 behind Sierra 69 gr BT's seated magazine length. We've not gotten to the range yet to shoot 200, 300 and 600. We'll be screwing Vortex 4x scopes on the ARs in the spring. We'd like to squeeze the NRA EIC, President's 100 and the Infantry Trophy matches in between the CMP matches we always shoot. I do the loading and need to figure out the combination of rounds we'll need for the various ranges and rules involved.

I'm ready to buy components and need some advice: From what I've read, for 200 and maybe beyond, the 68-69 gr Noslers, Hornadys and of course the Sierra are bullets of choice. For 500-600 the 77 Sierra, 75 Hornady AMAX and 77 gr Nosler are popular along with some of the 80s. I'm going to try them all but would like to avoid any wasteful dead ends.

Questions:

Can any or all of the Nosler/Hornady/Sierra 75-77 gr BTs be seated for the AR magazine and still shoot at 200-300 yds?

What is the best (magazine-dependent) bullet/load across the course for Rattle Battle? Do you need different loads for 600-500 and 300-200?

All opinions gratefully received. Dokcop.
    Last edited by dokcop; 02-11-2017 at 12:35.

2. Default

dokcop,
    The 75-77 grain BTHP bullets were designed to be loaded to magazine length. The A-Max and Sierra/Nosler 80's were not designed for mag length but for single loading. I would believe that the load you are using now with 75-77 grain bullets would be just fine for rattle battle since they need to be fed from the magazine for the 200-600 yd matches.
    I shoot cross the course and my load is 24 gr RL15 with either the Hornady 75 BTHP or the Sierra 77 grain HP loaded mag length for the 200 and 300 yard line. I have shot this load at 600 but prefer the Hornady 75 grain AMAX or the Sierra 80 since I can single load. Hope this helps.
    Gib

Good luck

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Gib View Post
    dokcop,
    The 75-77 grain BTHP bullets were designed to be loaded to magazine length. The A-Max and Sierra/Nosler 80's were not designed for mag length but for single loading. I would believe that the load you are using now with 75-77 grain bullets would be just fine for rattle battle since they need to be fed from the magazine for the 200-600 yd matches.
    I shoot cross the course and my load is 24 gr RL15 with either the Hornady 75 BTHP or the Sierra 77 grain HP loaded mag length for the 200 and 300 yard line. I have shot this load at 600 but prefer the Hornady 75 grain AMAX or the Sierra 80 since I can single load. Hope this helps.
    Most helpful. Thanks. Dokcop

Texas native exiled to Oz for past indescretions to numerous to mention.

Quote Originally Posted by Gib View Post
    dokcop,
    That's all really good advice. IMR 8208 will also work well. Dokop mentioned 69's. I do know some folks who run 69's at 200, 77's at 300 and then 80's at the six, but I just run 77's at both 200 and 300 to give me one less thing to think about. 77's are the bullet of choice for rattle battle.

For rattle battle, a good wind call at 500 and 600 is the key. You should strive to get them all off at 5 and 6, like the military teams do, or at worst finish up at 300. Carrying loaded rounds all the way down to the 200-yard line is kinda known as "the walk of shame" is some circles.
    "There it is"
    LOAD AND BE READY!

Some favorite links:

http://accurateshooter.net/Downloads/sierra223ar.pdf

For this link, open the main page, then go to the "Reloading Stuph" link on the upper left:
    http://www.njhighpower.com

I like RL15, but have used a lot of 4895 in the past.

I'm presently using about 25 grs of W748 with the Sierra 69gr for 2, 3, 600 use. You'll need to find the best charge weight for your cases.

It's nice but still can't get use to the "return spring" in the ear.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jjrothWA View Post
    I'm presently using about 25 grs of W748 with the Sierra 69gr for 2, 3, 600 use. You'll need to find the best charge weight for your cases.

It's nice but still can't get use to the "return spring" in the ear.
    25.5 of 748 is the go to load for 69smk's

to kill that spring noise,

take the spring out, put a dab of axle grease (or any thick grease) on your hand and work in on the spring,

it will quiet it right down, and not affect performance

You have to work up the load for each rifle same as you did for your M1. Loading .223 is no different than .30-06. Except it's smaller.
    Rifling twist will decide your bullet weight, but think heavy for calibre. Sierra makes an 80 and 90 grain Matchking. They say the latter requires 1 in 6.5” or faster. 1 in 8 for the 80. Your 69's require 1 in 10” or faster.
    200 to 300 yards isn't that far, but I'd work up the loads for 600 yards.
    Magazines have nothing to do with the bullet. OAL(from the pointy part to the flat part, no ogives involved) is what matters to the mag. SAAMI Max OAL is 2.260". That'll fit any mag. Forget the off-the-lands stuff at least until you have a load. It's a load tweaking technique and probably won't fit your mags.
    "...the "return spring" in the ear..." Never shot on a big outdoor range and heard an M1's action open and close?
    Spelling and grammar count!

Never heard the M1 cycled, due to other M1's barking. But did enjoy the "PING"! during 200 & 300 RF stages!